h u r t

Minho, Teresa, Ben, Winston, Frypan and I explained to the other Gladers what had happened to Alby once we exited the cave. It wasn't easy to comprehend, and everybody was asking questions that could not yet be answered. Confused, we all went back to the campsite.

The first thing I noticed when I arrived back at the campsite was that Newt and Chuck were sitting in front of Chuck's tent, looking at his collection of books he had brought along.

"Hey, guys." I say, sitting down on the ground beside them.

"Where were you guys?" Newt asked, handing Chuck back his book that he was holding. "Chuck and I came back from the woods, and you were all gone."

"Yeah, we looked everywhere for you," Chuck lied, winking at me. "Where were you?"

"W-We had to get more firewood," I stuttered. It pained me to lie to Newt. I felt a heavy wave of guilt flush over me.

"But we already have lots of wood here." Newt raised his eyebrows in disbelief.

"Yeah, well, Minho told us we needed more. I was just listening to what Minho told us all to do," I snapped, suddenly feeling defensive, even though I knew I was lying to him. "Don't blame me."

"I'm not blaming you, Tommy," laughs Newt. "I was just wondering."

I force a smile at him, and try my best not to cave in and tell him everything. I don't want him to know we lost Alby. I don't want him to hurt.

I went home after I helped everybody pack up the campsite. Newt wanted to come over, but I told him I wanted to be alone for a little bit. Of course, that wasn't true. I only said that so I could have some time to come up with a plan to save Alby.

I jotted some notes down on a piece of paper; just some things that might be able to help me find Alby. Anything from when he disappeared, to the strange things that he was saying. Like, last night, he kept saying that he was waiting for something, and that I had to leave. He said the same thing this morning before he was taken away.

And the letters, WCKD, on that mans coat. Did WICKED take Alby away? How would they get into the afterlife?

Before I could continue sending myself into a further state of confusion, I heard my front door swing open and close with a loud thud.

I set down my notebook on a nearby table and cautiously stepped out of my bedroom, into the living room.

Newt was standing there, his face red, his eyes puffy like he had been crying, and a tight frown was plastered on his face.

I've never seen him look so angry. Except for when he was turning into a Crank . .

"I know everything," Newt snarls. "I know about Alby. I know about the cave."

"How . ." I start, shocked. "Who told you?"

"It doesn't matter!" Newt cried. "It doesn't bloody matter who told me! At least they did tell me, and didn't hide it from me, like you did! You shucking liar!"

"Newt, I'm sorry."

"Thomas," Newt breathes, shaking his head. "You hid it from me. I could've helped. Why would you do that?"

"You had enough on your mind, Newt." I answer. "I'm so sorry, I just didn't want you to worry."

"I-I just can't believe you . ." Newt stutters. "You knew Alby was my friend. I deserved to know, Thomas!"

"Stop calling me that!" I shout, tears stinging my eyes. I feel so stupid. I was trying to protect Newt, and I just ended up hurting him.

"Stop calling you what?" Newt shouts back. "Thomas? Your real name?"

"You never call me Thomas," I choke between weeps. "you call me Tommy."

"That doesn't matter now!" Newt is crying now, too. "Alby is gone! I never even got a shucking chance to look for him . . To see him before he was taken away . . My first best friend! Then, you planned on not even telling me he was gone! Did you really think I wouldn't notice? You think I'm that bloody stupid?"

"Of course not, Newt." I whisper. I don't know what else to do.

"How could you?" Newt shakes his head. "I hate you, Thomas. I hate you so bloody much. I wish Alby was here and you were gone instead."

His words hit me like a bullet in my heart. "I'm so sorry, Newt. I'll leave you alone if that's what you really want. I'll bring Alby back, okay? Just like I planned to do. But I can't promise I'll come back . ." I grab Newt's wrist and pull him closer to me, then I connect my lips with his. Just incase I never get to kiss him again. Just for one last reminder of his taste. Just incase I leave and really don't come back.

Newt doesn't kiss me back. He puts his hands on my chest and pushes me away.

"Thomas," Newt hisses, trying to remain calm, "promise me that you will never talk to me again. I don't care what you do anymore. I'm done trying. You shucking bastard."

He turns around and walks back out my front door, slamming it, and leaving me alone once again in the middle of my own home.