t o u c h

"Chuck has told us so much about you, Thomas," smiles Cassandra, Chuck's mother. Her blonde hair is short and slightly turning grey.
"Yes," agrees Timothy, Cassandra's husband and Chuck's father. "He said that you were the one to protect him and promise him to bring him back to us . . Thank you, Thomas."
His words seemed to trigger some sadness inside of me and I looked at the ground. "Yeah, but I didn't keep my promise . ."
"It's okay," says Cassandra, "Chuck is here now, with us. You tried and that's all that matters."
"Anyway," Timothy grins at his wife, "we're all safe now."
Chuck looked at me, smiling, with red cheeks. "Thomas, we need to find your parents. I bet they're up here . ."
"I don't even know what they look like, or who they are," I say, rubbing my hands together, suddenly thinking of Newt's touch and how much I missed it.
"Yeah, well maybe they remember you," Chuck says, "that's how my parent's found me, they went around looking for a Chuck, and they found me."
"Maybe," I say, feeling better again. "I'll see you later, Chuck. I've got to go."

-
"You really think you'll find your parents? In this bloody place?" Newt asks, shaking his head.
"Well, Chuck did, so why can't I?"
"The kid got lucky. There's millions of people here, Tommy. It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack . ."
"A what in a what?" I asked, laughing.
Newt shrugged. "An expression I learned from these regular people who weren't stuck in a bloody maze for three years."
"I see," I said, biting my lip. Newt and I were taking a walk around the Heaven, walking down the dirt path that leads through a field of flowers.
"What's the plan, anyway? Just keep yellin' your name so they find you? People will look at ya' like you're a bloody crank!"
"Newt . ." I said slowly. I don't like talking about the Cranks, especially with Newt.
"Sorry." Newt says. "I forgot."
We pass a large group of children, all sitting in a circle and laughing at each other. In the Heaven, there is houses and other buildings, and everything that a normal town would have. Except for danger.
"I wish I could remember being a kid," Newt says suddenly. "I wonder if I had a good childhood."
"Me, too." I nod.
We pass some more people; a teenaged couple sitting on the front doorstep of a house, kissing.
For a moment I thought about Newt holding my hand, and telling me I was his best friend. But I feel like 'best friend' is not enough. I want to be something more . . I want to mean something more to him.
"Well, do ya'?" Newt asks, snapping me out of my daydream.
"What?"
"You weren't even listening to me," laughed Newt. "I said, do you ever wonder if you had a relationship in your past life?"
"Yeah, of course," I say, feeling awkward. "And sometimes I wish I had one right now."
"Me too," nods Newt, smirking. "Do ya' got anyone in mind?"
"Maybe," I grin. But the answer is yes, yes I do, and he's standing right beside me.