c a p t u r e d

I woke up in a strange position.
I was sitting on a chair, tied fast by my wrists and ankles. Immediately I thrashed around in panic, and to make things worse, I still wasn't able to see anything around me; it was as if somebody had glued my eyes shut or wrapped a blindfold around my head. But there was nothing like that. It was just pitch black dark. I grunted in annoyance as I struggled to loosen the rope around my wrists, and then I heard a voice.
"Is somebody else here?"
I instantly knew who it was. His accent made it obvious. My heart dropped in my chest, and I felt a lump forming in my throat.
"Newt? Are you all right? Where are you?" I spoke so quickly that I had to stop to take a breath.
I heard him take a deep sigh of relief, and I noticed how close he sounded.
"You're here," Newt said, sudden comfort evident in his voice. "I-I think I'm tied to a chair." He stated, his sentence sounding more like a question.
"Hold on . ." I replied calmly, somehow managing to jerk my hand over slightly, and as I expected, I felt his cold hand on the other side of the chair. We were sitting back to back, and he was tied down, too.
I grabbed his hand for a moment to show him I was there. Newt jumped slightly, but relaxed as soon as he knew it was me.
"Where the hell are we?" Newt groaned, squirming in his seat. He had already started to become impatient.
"I have no idea. It's too shuckin' dark to see!" I was getting annoyed. I knew Brenda and her familiar, new companion put us here, but why? Was Brenda still jealous?
I began to think it was something more than that. I just had no idea what it was.
Just as I was about to speak again, I was momentarily blinded by a blazing white light. I let out a grunt, and Newt answered to the light with a string of unidentifiable curse words.
The light flickered back off; then on again.
It happened several times, and I honestly thought I was about to loose my eyesight. It was as if somebody was flicking a light-switch on and off again just to bother us. The last time the light switched on, it stayed on, and my eyes finally had time to adjust to the new lighting.
Then I heard familiar laughter. I watched her shadow standing there. I squinted my eyes and blinked repeatedly to try to get a better look. The light adjusted around her body, and her shadow faded, revealing her face.
Brenda approached me slowly. The closer she got, the more angry I felt. How dare she think she could rule my life like this? Getting in the middle of our mission to find Alby just because she doesn't want Newt and I to be together?
Newt, who couldn't see her since he was facing the other way, suddenly froze. He could hear her footsteps approaching.
"Who is it? Thomas? Who's that?"
"It's her," I whispered, rage evident in my voice. Newt immediately understood who I was talking about.
"I thought I told you to get away from us!" Newt shouted at Brenda. "You bloody idiot! All we want to do is find our friend. Why are you making that so difficult!?"
"Shut up, Newt." Brenda snapped.
That definitely didn't help me control my anger. In fact, that's what set me off.
"Don't ever say that to him again!" I screamed, violently thrashing around in the chair. "You let us out of here right now, Brenda, and I can promise you I won't bash your face in. Honestly, I never wanted trouble. I just wanted two things: to find Alby and to be with Newt. Why are you so obsessed with me? Can't you see I hate you?"
Brenda laughed again, as if I was telling her the funniest joke she had ever heard.
"Oh, Thomas. You're too full of yourself. Give it up. Yes, I'll admit, I do believe you'd be better with me, but that has nothing to do with why you're here."
She got closer, her face only inches from mine.
My breath hitched in my throat, and my whole body shook with rage. "Then why are we here?" I asked, almost in a whisper.
As if on cue, another shadow stepped out from behind her. The tall masked man. Brenda pulled herself away from my face, and stood beside the man.
I remembered who I had seen underneath that mask when he removed it, before I got abducted by these monsters.
"You're here because she's taking my orders," the man explained. I winced at his voice. I knew exactly who was behind that mask. The man I had spent almost all of my time running from.
He took one step closer. Reached up to his mask, and smoothly tugged it off. I pressed my eyes shut for a moment, as if he would be gone when I re-opened them.
"Thomas, are you scared of me?" He chuckled.
I slowly opened my eyes and glared at him, a strong feeling of hatred building up inside of me.
"You'll never scare me, Janson."