t o m m y

Chuck was cleaned up, too. Everyone was. Including me.
Chuck gave me a tour around this new, strange place like he did when I got to the glade. Ben was here, and Teresa, and all of the other dead gladers. Even people I didn't know were here. Including Chucks parents.
Maybe my parents were here, too, I thought. I should look for them later - but how can I find someone I even don't know?
"This place is heaven," said Chuck, "I like it better up here than in the maze . . I should've came here earlier."
"Don't say that," I told him, giving him a little hug. "I'll be back, I need to go see Newt."
"Okay, and later, you'll meet my mom and dad?"
"Sure thing, buddy." I said, tousling his curly hair, and looking down at his red cheeks and smiling face .

-
"I missed you, Newt . . So shucking much." I said, embarrased about the tears threatening to leak from my eyes.
"Aw, Tommy, I missed ya' too, but don't go all bloody soft on me." He said, taking a swig of a strange liquid in a bottle, reminding me of that night at the fire where I tried some of 'Gally's recipe.'
"But . . I shot you."
"Yeah, thanks." Newt said jokingly, but it came out in a small, strangled voice. "Listen, Tommy, I'm sorry for making you do that . . I just . . I didn't want to be a crank."
"Did you mean it?" I asked, stealing the bottle from Newt and taking a sip.
"What?"
"Did you mean what you said? About how you hated me? How I ruined everything?" The tears rolled down my cheek now, and I hated myself for it; for showing him my weakness.
"Oh, Tommy . ." Newt said, resting his face in his hands. "I didn't mean it . . I didn't know what I was talking about."
I rested my hand on his knee, and he lifted his head to look at me. I noticed that his eyes were shining with tears, too. I felt something tighten in my chest. Newt was always the one who made me feel this way- like he had complete control over my emotions, and I don't know why.
Newt lifted his hand off of the ground and settled it on top of mine. A wave of surprise came over me, but I didn't flinch. I grinned at the ground and found myself tangling my fingers with his.
"You're my best friend, Tommy," he said, "you know I could never hate you."
"Yeah," I nodded, just craving the sound of his voice. His adorable accent . . Oh shuck, what am I thinking?
"Do you forgive me?"
"Of course," I said, looking at his delicate fingers laced with my veiny ones. "I love you like a brother. We're like a family, Newt."
"Good that," he said, leaning against my shoulder. "Good that."