Chapter 28: If You Touch Mabel, You're Doomed

Clang!

When the Stand-in-Emperor wielded the sword, a strong wind swelled and shook the earth.

A masked man, who stopped the sword, held out for a slight moment and soon fell back.

"Mabel! Mabel, are you okay?"

The stand-in-Emperor, who ran and didn't breathe a bit, wrapped my cheek with his trembling hand.

"Ung."

Maybe it was because I loosened up, I was fine but felt a little dizzy.

"...ha."

Sighing with relief, the stand-in-Emperor fixed his sword and stood with his back facing me.

"I don't know who sent you, but you'd better stop thinking that you'll go back alive."

All I could see was the back of the stand-in-Emperor, so I couldn't tell what kind of expression he was wearing. But I could feel that he was very angry.

But before he could swing his sword again,

Fweee-!

A masked man whistled. Starting with the signal, they each flew in different directions and carried out the escape.

"-Your Majesty!"

Just in time, the back up knights arrived.

The stand-in-Emperor could not leave my side, so he gave orders to the knights.

"Go after them. You must not let a single one escape!"

"Yes!"

The running of the knights could be heard.

I gave Lalima a big hug. I didn't have any strength left in my body for some reason.

'Is it because I completely loosened up.'

No. It was a little different. It felt like my whole body was exhausted.

"Mabel, it's alright now. Now that Daddy is here-."

Before I knew it, I could see the surprised expression on the Emperor's face through my dimmed vision.

Drip.

Suddenly my nose was hot, and something dripped down.

...It was blood.

"Huh...?"

I blinked weakly, and soon lost consciousness.

"Your Majesty!"

It was Lalima's piercing screams.

"Mabel!!"

The entirety of the Imperial Palace trembled like an aspen tree.

"Why isn't she waking up?"

The frosty voice of Esteban drove the Imperial Palace into even more fear.

An expressionless face.

Those who remember Esteban in the days of the Crown Prince and in the early days of his throne were familiar with it.

Everyone in the Imperial Palace was one person. They barely opened their lips, making their mouth dry.

"As I said, Her Majesty seems to be in a deep sleep, Your Majesty."

"You're just saying the same thing again and again."

"...I apologize, Your Majesty."

"Re-examine her. Find out the cause. If you don't want to die. Hurry!"