Chapter 42. Rain, Come Down!

“Your Majesty. We are about to depart.”

When I looked up to the voice, it was a face I have never seen before. The red curly hair of the knight was impressive.

“Ah, I’m sorry, Your Majesty. My name is Cissero, one of the knights in charge of your escorting.”

Except for the servants who took care of me and the subject uncles, I didn’t know how to respond. Without realizing it, my hand on Oscar’s hem tightened.

“Ah… Did I scare Your Majesty?”

He smiled awkwardly and scratched the back of his head. Then, the knights around him, who I didn’t know, began to boo.

“Boo-! You scared Her Majesty!”

“You’re the worst, Cissero! Get out of here!”

“Hey, Her Majesty is listening, speak nicely…”

Perhaps because it was outside the Imperial Palace grounds, the atmosphere of the knights was in the sky somehow. I heard some small talk around me, something about rock-paper-scissors?

Anyway, he didn’t seem to be a dangerous person, so I greeted him, sticking by Oscar.

“Hewwo, Cithewo.” (Hello, Cissero.)

“Pft. That’s right. From now in, my name is Cithewo!”

“……”

I looked up blankly because I was speechless, then I heard cries from the other knights around me.

“Sh*t, I should have won…!”

“Lucky bastard. I’ll win next time at rock-paper-scissors.”

‘Is it like a penalty game…?’

Enrique, who was standing next to Oscar, spoke with a smile.

“Your Majesty is still very popular.”

“…popuwar?” (…popular?)

“Of course. Our Mabel is the cutest in the world.”

Then, not only Enrique, but also everyone who was paying attention nodded.

‘Why do I feel shameful…’

When I hid my red cheeks and covered my face with my hands, excalmations erupted here and there.

“Look at her tiny hands!”

“I’m going crazy. I’m going to go and faint…”

I was resistant to the subjects’ comments, but not the knights’.

‘This won’t do. I need to stop this.’

“Cithewo.”

“Pft. Yes, Your Majesty.”

“Ith that evewything you had to sway?” (Is that everything you had to say?)

“Yes. I wanted to let you know that we’re leaving soon. You should get on the wagon.”

“Okway. You can gwo now.” (Okay. You can go now.)

Then, Cissero mumbled as if he wanted to say something, and soon walked away with drooped shoulders. For some reason, the other knights were hitting Cissero’s shoulders or kicking his shin.

“We’re leaving soon. Shall we get in the wagon, Mabel?”

“Ung.”

Enrrique took a step back when Oscar took my hand.