⁰⁴

January 1, 2015

January 1, 2015

Three.

Two.

One.

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!" They all yelled as the clock had struck exactly twelve in the midnight. They all cheered as they great each other at the start of a new year ahead of them.

The Xu and Wen family had, once again, gathered for this occation. They ate together, prepared all kinds of food, and popped some non-alcoholic sparkling wine. They also bought all sorts of round fruits. The two boys had jumped the second that the clock turned twelve, hoping that they'd get even a little bit taller. Although, Junhui was already plenty tall. They ate mooncakes together and lots of other traditional Chinese dishes.

And of course, what New Year's celebration doesn't have fireworks and trumpet noise?

"Thanks for having us, Mr. and Mrs. Wen." Mr. Xu said.

"Yes, it was very much enjoyable." Mrs. Xu added.

"No need for thanks. We celebrated on your house during Christmas. It's only natural that we're the ones to prepare for the New Year's." Mrs. Wen chuckled.

"Have you packed enough food to go?" Mr. Wen asked, looking back at the table filled with food. "There's still a lot more left. Do you need more tupperwares? Should I get some foil?"

Mr. Xu lifted the bag in his hands filled with tupperwares of food. "This is more than enough for us. Thank you."

Junhui held Minghao's hands. "Can't you stay over for tonight?"

"Jun, we see each other everyday anyways." Minghao said.

"B-But..."

"We're more than happy to have you at our house, Minghao." Mrs. Wen smiled.

Minghao looked at his mother.

Mrs. Xu nodded.

"Thank you for having me." Minghao smiled.

"We'll be going then." Mr. Xu said.

"Bye, honey!" Mrs. Xu waved, as the boy's parents left.

"Minghao, would you like to go on another round of food?" Mr. Wen asked.

Minghao chuckled. "I'm quite full, but thanks, Mr. Wen."

Mr. Wen shrugged. "Alright, more for me then."

Junhui faked a cough. "Dad, we're gonna go... play a game on our phone or something."

"Okay." Mr. Wen said. 

 Junhui signaled for the boy to follow him, leading him up the stairs and into the balcony. "I thought the view to the fireworks might be better up here."

The younger stepped closer onto the railings. "It's beautiful." He said, looking at the colorful flashing lights that were decorating the sky.

"It is."