56

"Your plan is going to get me and my friends killed." Shepherd argued.

I held in a sigh at her attempt at making us release them. Our plan is trying to keep everyone alive. If they knew our original one they'd be pretty grateful that this is the one we're going with.

"We're gonna make it work." Sasha said.

She dismissed the cop as she went to stand next to me. I glanced at her but she didn't seem to notice. Ever since Bob, well, she hasn't been herself. A state I'm familiar with.

"It would work if you had different cops to trade. Dawn's running Grady into the ground. A bunch of us want her out and she knows it. Pretty sure she knows we want Lamson to replace her, too."

I am once again baffled by the amount of resentment they hold for their supposed leader. If it was so bad, they should've replaced her by now. At this point they're just letting Dawn pick them off one by one.

"Dawn doesn't know that." the other cop protested.

"She might. And she's smart. So there's a good chance you can't make this deal work and that'll leave us all dead." Shepherd said.

Her eyes locked with Dakota's who shifted uncomfortably. Out of everyone here, Dakota was the most likely to hear her out. Other than Tyreese.

"But if you let us go, we'll take care of Dawn ourselves. And then we'll let your friends go and this is over."

Too many risks there. We can't trust them to hold up their end of the bargain. Although we could barge in guns blazing if they betray us, that is still a situation we're trying to avoid.

"No, we're not gonna do that." Lamson spoke up.

I raised my eyebrows at Shepherd who looked away uncomfortably. She's smart, she can see how their disagreement makes the situation worse.

"Do you want to die?"

"No. I just need you to shut up right now."

I clenched my jaw at his dismissal of her. At least she was willing to bargain. He hasn't said anything useful so far other than being a supposed good guy.

"You can make this work. But you've got to be able to talk to her." Lamson said.

I glanced at Dakota who was frowning at him. Neither of us were the ones who were going to talk to Dawn. Only Rick was in charge of that.

And our new friend was coaching him on how to approach their boss.

"We don't need you for that. Noah's been more than eager to tell us about her." Dakota argued.

I hummed in agreement. They were the bait, not the masterminds of the operation. Though their support would help, we don't need it to get what we want.

"I've known her for eight years, ma'am. I know this woman. And my only interest is peaceful resolution, not dying, and sleeping in my bed tonight. So, please, let me help you. Please."

I placed one hand on my hip before looking him up and down. My eyes met Daryl's and I nodded at him. Whether they were lying or not, it was best to hear them out.

"Hey, Rick. You're gonna want to hear this."

----

I stared through the windows trying to keep an eye out for any backup that might've been called without our notice. Sasha had taken Lamson to the upper side of the building muttering something about a walker.

"I don't like being this far from the twins." Dakota said.

I looked at her as she came to stand next to me, before frowning and resuming my watch. Until we head out and do the trade, there wasn't much for me to do.