37

"Field's filled with walkers. I didn't see any snipers out there, but we'll keep Maggie on watch." Rick stated.

We should've been more careful the first time. If they slipped through our fences that easily, they won't have a problem doing it again. Because of the bullet graze, I can't shoot that well either so we're already down in numbers.

"I'll get up in the guard tower, take out half them walkers, give these guys a chance to fix the fence." Daryl suggested.

"Or use some of the cars to put the bus in place." Michonne added.

"We can't do any of that. If we do, we'll use up all of our bullets and we need those for when the Governor comes." I argued.

Clearing the field should be done manually though I doubt we have the time or the numbers to do so. It'll have to stay that way until we find a way to preserve our bullets for the bigger fight.

"So we're trapped in here. There's barely any food or ammo." Glenn said.

"Been here before. We'll be alright." Daryl said.

"That's when it was just us. Before there was a snake in the nest." Glenn snarled.

Man, he got bloodthirsty real quick. I have to say, getting beat up can make a person angry. It still hurts to breathe sometimes because of the Governor's kick to the ribs. Not to mention all the bruises and cuts decorating my face.

"Man, we gonna go through this again? Look, Merle's staying here. He's with us now. Get used to it. All y'all." Daryl grumbled.

I went to hold his elbow to stop him from leaving but he moved too fast. A sigh left my lips as we all knew this was going to be difficult. No one liked Merle and for good reason. But he was Daryl's brother.

"Seriously, Rick, I don't think Merle living here is really gonna fly." Glenn grumbled.

"I can't kick him out." Rick persisted.

"I wouldn't ask you to live with Shane after he tried to kill you." Glenn snapped.

Rick tensed at his words and I shifted uncomfortably. Shane's death was what started dictator Rick. Somehow, I don't think mentioning it will be of much help. Even if it does make a valid point.

"Merle has military experience. He may be erratic, but don't underestimate his loyalty to his brother." Hershel stated.

"I agree with Hershel. Merle's an asshole but he's also an asset. We need people like him." I said.

We lost Axel because of the Governor. Merle will be a stronger soldier than he would have been. If Dakota can sweet talk him into being more nice, she's done it before, then he could be more of a pro than a con.

"What if we solve both problems at once? Deliver Merle to the Governor. Bargaining chip. Give him his traitor, maybe declare a truce." Glenn suggested.

My eyes widened at the suggestion. It's one thing to joke about killing Merle and it's a completely different thing to actually do it. It's like no one recalls that the Dixon brothers are as thick as thieves.

"Daryl would never agree to that. You seem to have forgotten what happened the last time Merle was left for dead." I retorted.

Everyone got quiet as I swallowed a lump in my throat. I never thought I'd be the one to stick up for Merle. Though I'm doing it more for Daryl. His brother was his family, no matter how fucked up the family.