22

"You out?" Daryl asked.

We exited the cars and I found myself shivering. The bags Ryan and Abby packed unfortunately didn't contain a jacket. My shirt will have to be enough for now.

"Running on fumes." Rick said.

"We can't stay here." Maggie said.

Where can we even go? No transport, no food, no shelter and basically nothing except each other. That sounds beautifully tragic and way more positive than it should be.

"We can't all fit in two cars." Glenn pointed out.

Well, if a lot of people sit in each other's laps then it's possible. Not very comfortable and very awkward but manageable. We should rest though. There's no use in running if we don't even know where we're running to.

"We'll have to make a run for more gas in the morning." Rick said.

I crossed my hands over my chest as I tried to hide the fact that I was trembling because of how cold it was. The herd couldn't have picked a better time to attack the farm. It'll be way too cold to stay outside soon.

"Spend the night here?" Carol asked.

We can't go back to the farm, we can't go to the highway, the town was overrun anyway. There is nowhere else to go except here. We'll find a few nice bushes to sleep in and it'll all be fine.

"I'm freezing." Carl said.

I know how that feels, kid. This could go on for a while. I turned around letting their voices fade as I made my way to the car. All they'll do is argue about where to go and what to do. I'm out of ideas and interest.

Rick hasn't killed us yet so I'm betting my money on him. At first, I was sceptical of him and his morals. Don't get me wrong, I still hate the way he looks at the world. But he's gotten us this far. And hell, we aren't dead yet. Well not all of us.

I opened one of the bags and rummaged through it. Ugh, the warmest thing in here is a damn pink sweater.

Regretting my decision immediately, I put it on feeling a little warmer than before. I closed my bag and unzipped Ryan's. I found an extra jacket, in case someone needs it.

"We're all infected."

I froze just as I reached the group again. I think I'm hearing things because I just heard Rick say we were infected.

That's not possible. If we were infected, we'd have a fever then we'd die and come back as a walker. That's how the virus works.

"At the CDC, Jenner told me. Whatever it is, we all carry it." Rick explained.

He knew all this time and he didn't tell us? I thought we concluded that keeping important things from the group was never a smart move.

If we knew about this, we could've done things differently or at least thought differently.

"And you never said anything?" Carol accused Rick.

I handed Carl the jacket I found. His eyes lit up at the sight of it and Lori helped him put it on. She nodded at me in thanks.