30

The baby's cry filled the air as we exited the prison. Sunlight hit my eyes as I walked behind Carl, my hand firmly planted on his shoulder. He was so brave for putting down his mother. Many others wouldn't be able to do it.

I looked up only to wish I hadn't. The rest of the group was there watching us. Carol and T-Dog were missing. Rick's gaze was stronger than anyone else's. His eyes searched for Lori, but didn't find her.

Maggie's mouth opened as she tried to speak yet all that left her mouth was muffled sobs. An axe fell from Rick's grip as he walked towards us. I swallowed a lump in my throat at the sight of him.

No one wanted to say what everyone already knew. Lori was gone. Rick shook his head as he refused to accept the fact that she could be gone.

"Wh-where is sh-she?" Rick tried to say.

Maggie couldn't get a word out. Rick marched towards the prison and I stood in his way. My hand pushed against his chest to stop him from going forward.

Seeing Lori in that kind of mangled state is the last thing he needs right now. I didn't want to say anything, but I couldn't stop the words leaving my mouth.

"No, Rick, don't. She's gone." I whispered.

He completely fell apart at my words. Cries left his lips and I tried to touch him, but he moved before I could. The only word he could get out was no.

It broke my heart to see him like that. He fell to the ground sobbing like his world had ended. I guess losing his wife is the end of the world.

"Rick? Rick, you with me? Rick?" Daryl waved in front of his head trying to get his attention.

Rick leaned back and forth with his eyes wide. I didn't have time to think much about it as Abby launched herself into my arms.

My mind took some time to process that she was hugging me. I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her forehead with affection.

"Are you alright? I was so worried when I couldn't see you. I thought something bad might've happened to you." Abby panicked.

My eyes connected with Ryan's who came closer to us. He put one hand on my shoulder and the other on Abby's. We were family and we stayed together. Seeing Carl lose a part of his family and receiving a new one only emphasized that.

"Nothing is ever going to tear me away from you two. I promise." I mumbled.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rick get up and grab an axe. I pulled away from Abby and reached out for him, but Ryan held me back.

He said it once already. I don't have to be present in every fight. Yet it still feels like I am needed to win this one.

"Rick." Maggie shouted.

He ignored her call and went straight to the prison. Ryan rubbed my back soothingly as Daryl and Maggie went get some baby supplies. The kid won't survive unless she has something to eat.

We all went inside the prison to calm down from the attack.

------

"Thank you for agreeing to do this." Glenn said.

I moved my flashlight to see if there were any walkers nearby. Yet every walker we saw was was already dead.