25

"What do you think?" Rick asked.

I looked up as he walked down the stairs. He was dirty and looked exhausted. I guess we all are at this point.

The cell block isn't exactly a five star hotel, but it was more secure than any other place we've been at so far.

"Home, sweet home." Glenn commented.

Abby walked in with two bags in her arms. I walked up to her and took one from her. She gave me a relieved smile. Those bags are heavy even for me, let alone her.

Ryan came along with Hershel. There was a rifle hanging around his shoulder. Guess guard duty went well.

"For the time being." Rick confirmed.

Abby chose a cell for us and we entered it. It has seen better days. There was blood over the walls and ground.

But it had a bunk bed which was exactly what we needed. I put one of the bags on the lower bed.

"Upper bed is mine." Abby declared.

A smile formed on my face at the excitement in her voice. I helped her up on the bed and she started unpacking the essentials.

I shifted uncomfortably not wanting to crush her hopes about this place. For all we know, it'll only last for a short while.

"It's secure?" Lori asked.

I exited the cell to see Ryan picking the cell next to ours. My eyes softened at his actions. He wants to stay close to us in case something happens. It's the same move I would've made. We're safer in numbers.

My mind drifted to Dakota. If she were here, she would be in that room with him or with Abby. Instead Ryan has to be alone because his usual roommate has a girlfriend now. Glenn and Maggie were stronger than ever.

"This cell block is." Rick stated.

I snapped out of my thoughts and glanced at the rag that was still in my hand. It hurt less and it stopped bleeding. I'll talk to Hershel about it later.

Everyone needs to get settled first. The sooner we do that, the sooner we can search the rest of the prison.

"What about the rest of the prison?" Hershel asked.

He read my mind. As I looked at him, I noticed he looked even older than before. Though the long white hair and beard suited him. It made him look more sophisticated and wiser. Now he looked like a proper man of faith.

"In the morning, we'll find the cafeteria and the infirmary." Rick explained.

Yay, more action and more walkers to kill. The best feeling in the world is when you kill a walker. It makes me feel like there's one less walker that could hurt my siblings. That's all that ever mattered to me.

"We sleep in the cells?" Beth asked.

I rolled my eyes at the disturbed tone in her voice. We've been out in the wilderness for the last seven months.

I don't see how a cell could make her more uncomfortable than sleeping outside. At least she's safe here.

"It's not like this is the worst place we've ever slept in. Besides, Rick and Daryl have sets of keys to the cells. We're safe here." I said.