45

"You look like shit."

"You gotta work on the way you compliment sick people."

I cracked a smile as Ryan leaned back in his chair. The glass wall separating us made me feel even worse.

"You know our sister better than that. She'll be insulting us on her deathbed." Dakota said.

Ryan smiled with his eyes half closed and unfocused. It was clear that he was trying to look strong for us. But the illness was working against him.

He motioned at my bruise. "What happened to your face?"

"What happened to your face?" I shot back.

Dakota slapped the back of my head and I glared at her. She gave me a stern look as she focused her attention back on our brother.

"It's nothing you need to worry about. All you have to do is get better." I said.

He inhaled deeply. "Is that all? Just survive a deadly illness that there's no cure for?"

I flinched at his approach to it. He wasn't going to die from this. I wasn't going to let him. His kid will have both of his parents.

"Hey, don't think like that. I'm heading out with Daryl and a small group. We're gonna get the medication that you need." Dakota stated.

Ryan rubbed his face and sat up straighter in his chair. "Where's Abby?"

I took a deep breath studying his face. He was pale. Paler than I'd ever seen him before. It wasn't a good look for him. The bags under his eyes weren't helping either.

"The administration building, as a precaution." Dakota replied.

Ryan went to reply but he coughed into his elbow instead. The sound of his coughs made me get goosebumps. I got up from my seat and went outside.

Dakota called out for me but I ignored her. My feet carried me as far as they could. Once I was outside the prison walls, I tried to breathe properly.

It didn't feel like any air was coming into my lungs. I sat down on the floor closing my eyes. It'll be fine. He'll be fine. Nothing bad is going to happen to him.

I dug my nails into my palms trying to distract myself from all the thoughts swarming at me all at once. Once I heard footsteps, I immediately opened my eyes and got up.

It was Daryl, exactly what I didn't need right now. He saw me and slowed down. I could see the hesitation on his face. He nodded at me and passed by.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I asked.

I didn't have to turn around to know that he stopped moving. My chest went up and down as I tried to steady my breathing.

"Doing what?" He asked.

I turned around to face him. "This. I hurt you, and I get it, but you're being cruel."

He just keeps pretending like we never cared for each other. I thought I could do it too, make it easier for him. But I can't.

He avoided eye contact. "What do you want from me, Josephine?"

A heavy sigh left my lips as I crossed my arms over my chest. My fingers went up and down as I tried to word what I was feeling. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't.

"I don't know. But I don't want this."

He nodded and looked at me properly for the first time in months. His eyes couldn't hide the frustration that he felt. The frown on his face only deepened the more he thought about what I said.