43

"Why are you up this early?" I grumbled.

Abby was tying her shoes and getting ready to go somewhere. It wasn't even 7 am yet. That's usually when I had training with Cleo. I tried to make her put it at a later time but apparently I needed to learn discipline.

I watched as Abby pulled her hair into a high ponytail. "Gardening with Carl and Rick, remember?"

I rolled my eyes at the mention of Rick's stupid new career. Instead of being our leader, he chose to be a farmer. No amount of whining seemed to convince him of going back.

"You kids have fun with your plants," A yawn escaped my lips, "I'm gonna stay here."

I heard her chuckling to herself before leaving our cell. The apocalypse didn't change my sleeping patterns. If I was allowed to, I'd sleep through the entire morning.

No matter how much sleep I got, I was always tired. None of my siblings had that problem. Abby might even be considered a morning person which is simply unacceptable.

My thoughts were interrupted by screams. I froze at the sound. When I heard it again, I threw the covers of my bed onto the floor and grabbed my gun from the cupboard.

I didn't exactly have time to change into something other than sleepwear. My feet carried me towards the cell block with the screaming. When I got there, it was chaos.

There were walkers everywhere and I didn't have time to even wonder why. All I knew was that our people were in trouble. I shot two walkers and they fell down onto the floor.

People ran past me as I saw a walker feeding on a woman's body. I pushed it off and shot it in the head.

"Josephine!"

I turned towards the sound and saw Dorothy being a pinned by a walker against the wall. She was holding it back but its hands were dangerously close to her stomach.

I couldn't risk accidently shooting Dorothy so I grabbed the walker by the shoulders. It snarled at me and I fell with it on top of me. Dorothy grabbed a bucket and hit it on the head.

It didn't kill it but it was enough to knock it off of me. I used the back of my gun to kill it. My hands got blood stained as I finally got the brain.

Dorothy helped me up and I ushered her towards a cell. As I shot another walker, she locked herself in. From behind me I could hear Rick asking people if they were bit.

I ran out of bullets and swore under my breath. "Just what I needed."

Carol helped a little girl in front of me. I saw a walker about to lunge at them and I pinned it against a wall. Daryl saw me and stabbed it before it could attack me.

I motioned for him to give me a knife and he tossed it to me.

"Are we clear down here?" Rick shouted.

Sasha checked the cell block. "Yeah."

Daryl, Glenn and I went upstairs to check if there any stray walkers lurking around. I stepped over a dead body just as Glenn was attacked by a walker in the cell.

Daryl shouted for him to get down before firing an arrow. Glenn ducked right on time and the walker fell down. A sigh of relief left my lips. Rick joined us upstairs.

Daryl looked at the walker he shot. The boy was vaguely familiar to me, as if though I've seen him around Abby and Carl. Though to be fair, that was most kids to me.

"Oh, it's Patrick," Daryl looked around the cell block, "That's all of 'em."

------

After making sure that everyone was alright, it was time to clean up the aftermath. Ryan came to get Dorothy and make sure she's alright while Hershel examined some survivors.