26

"Open the door! It's Hershel!"

I got startled by Rick's yell. I ran downstairs as everyone piled up around the door.

Carl unlocked it and I saw a clear image of Hershel with half of his leg missing. He was on a table with wheels, being pushed inside the cell block.

"Go, go, in there." Rick demanded.

As they brought Hershel in, I slipped out of the door and T-Dog closed it after me. My eyes searched for Daryl and Ryan feeling a knot tighten in my stomach upon not seeing them.

But then they both walked in and Ryan went straight to me. I wrapped my arms around him feeling a heavy weight lift off of my shoulders.

"Are you okay? What happened?" I inquired.

He pulled away and wiped away the sweat from his forehead. His brown hair was ruffled and in need of a wash.

Daryl was preparing his crossbow on the side as I resisted the urge to hug him as well. Ryan took a deep breath as he glanced inside.

"Hershel got bit, we met a few new faces. Prisoners who survived. Look, I don't have time to catch you up to speed. I have to make sure Hershel is alright." He said.

I nodded motioning for him to go. T-Dog let him go inside as I went to Daryl's side. I touched his shoulder as my eyebrows furrowed. He used his other hand to squeeze mine.

It was his way of saying that he was okay. I lowered my hand as we heard voices coming our way. Daryl raised his crossbow as the prisoners started walking in

"That's far enough." Daryl warned.

All of them hesitantly walked in, looking around the room. There was five of them. Three of them black, one Latino and one white. They were grimy and looked like they haven't seen daylight in a while.

"Cell block C, cell 4, that's mine, gringo. Let me in." The Latino one demanded.

I raised my eyebrow as a scowl tugged at my lips. Does he really think a group of strangers is going to let a criminal inside their new home? We weren't born yesterday and we've learnt that strangers usually mean trouble.

"Are you really that idiotic? Perhaps being in prison screwed up what's left of your tiny brain." I snapped.

I didn't like the way they looked at me. Seeing a woman after years of being stuck in a cell is every prisoner's dream. Too bad they got me instead. The Latino's eyes narrowed at me and I glared at him.

"Today's your lucky day, fellas. You've been pardoned by the state of Georgia. You're free to go." Daryl said.

I crossed my hands over my chest waiting for them to walk back to where they came from. We don't need new people, especially ones that already irritate me.

"What you got going on in there?" The Latino asked.

I tilted my head not understanding how he couldn't feel the hostility coming off of us. Maybe he avoided acknowledging it because he knew we'd fight him and his men until they were gone.

"It ain't none of your concern." Daryl snapped.

"Don't be telling me what's my concern." The Latino threatened.