12

"Everybody takes a weapon."

A bunch of us were gathered around random tools which I'm assuming Rick thought of as weapons. I had my knife but I guess an extra addition wouldn't hurt. Two weapons are better than one.

"These aren't the kind of weapons we need. What about the guns?" Andrea asked.

"We've been over that. Daryl, Rick and I are carrying. Can't have people popping off rounds every time a tree rustles." Shane explained.

I glanced at the gun in Rick's holster. This might be the first time that I agree with Andrea about something. I didn't take shooting classes only not to use a gun during an apocalypse.

"My gun." I mumbled.

Rick looked at me amused. I took a machete from the makeshift arsenal and grumbled about it under my breath. It's not like I was going to go around shooting people, despite my deep desire to do so.

"It's not the tress I'm worried about." Andrea mumbled.

"Say someone fires at the wrong moment, herd happens to be passing by, see that is game over for all of us. So you need to get over it." Shane retorted.

I tried to hide an amused smile. Though judging by the way Andrea was glaring at me, I was quite unsuccessful. I'm pleased that I'm not the only one forbidden from carrying a gun, that's all.

"The idea is to take the creek up, about five miles. Turn around, come back the other side. Chances are she'll be by the creek. It's her only landmark." Daryl explained.

"Stay quiet, stay sharp. Keep space between you but always stay in within sight of each other." Rick ordered.

I walked away from the team and made my way to the RV. Dale was going through a car with Abby. I pulled my hair up into a ponytail before reaching them.

"You mind watching over her while Ryan and I go searching?" I asked.

Both of them looked up as I leaned against the RV. Dale was a big old softie who seemed to be fall for Abby's charms. She easily got along with others while the rest of our family had difficulties with that.

"Why can't I come with you? Carl's going."

"Oh, so this is about Carl? If I knew you had a crush on him-"

"I don't have a crush on Carl. I just want to find Sophia."

I grinned at her noticing her discomfort at the subject. Those two are way too young for any funny business but it was still amusing to make her squirm. I did the same to Ryan when he was younger.

"Really? Cause your cheeks are getting red." I teased.

Dale smiled at the two of us as Abby huffed. It was clear that she was annoyed at me for twisting her words. The more I annoy her, the less she'll think about Sophia's disappearance.

"I'll keep an eye on her, Josephine. Don't worry about a thing." Dale said.

"Thanks, Dale, I appreciate it." I replied.

I joined the others as we ventured into the woods. It was quite peaceful actually. I grew up in a big city so nature wasn't that present in my life. The mud was annoying, however. I tried to avoid getting it on my shoes, but that proved to be mission impossible.