08

We all stood in an elevator and I was standing between Glenn and Ryan. It was quite packed but we all managed to fit. Although everyone was a bit too close for comfort.

"Doctors always go packin heat like that?" Daryl asked.

"There were plenty laying out there for me to familiarize myself with them. But you look harmless enough. Except you. I'll have to keep my eye on you." Jenner told Carl.

I rolled my eyes at his lame joke. It doesn't make me dislike him any less. The doors opened and we stepped outside. He led us through the corridors as I looked around.

"Are we underground?" Carol asked.

"You claustrophobic?" Jenner asked.

"A little." She admitted.

I smirked at that and she noticed. She nudged me and my smirk turned into a smile. Her mood seems to have brightened since Ed's death. Now that her abuser is gone, she can finally live a normal life. Well, relatively normal.

"VI, bring up the lights in the big room." Jenner staid.

The lights turned on and revealed a huge room. It reminded me of a hotel lobby because of its size.

A bunch of computers were lined up at every desk. However, it was too white and too empty. Like it was meant for ghosts.

"Welcome to zone five." Jenner said.

"This place is deserted. Where is everyone that worked with you? The other doctors? The staff?" I questioned.

The suspicion in my voice could be detected from a mile away. Something was off about this guy and I'm not taking any chances. He turned to face us.

"I'm it. It's just me here." He replied.

"What about the person you were speaking with? VI?" Lori asked.

I raised my eyebrows at her while she wasn't looking. Really? Even I know that. Not from personal experience though. Movies taught me that no human talks like that.

"VI, say hello to our guests. Tell them Welcome." Jenner ordered.

"Hello, guests. Welcome." A robotic voice replied.

It's a virtual intelligence, I believe. Something like a talking computer. You give it commands using your voice. It's kind of cool, really.

"I'm all that's left. I'm sorry." He apologized.

He then led us into a infirmary. I quickly got my blood test done then waited for the others to be done. Abby wasn't that good with blood so Ryan held her hand until it was done.

"What's the point? If we were all infected, we'd be running a fever." Andrea said.

"I've already broken every rule in the book by letting you in here. Let me just at least be thorough." Jenner replied.

He finished taking out her blood and she got up from the chair. Only to almost fall down. Jacqui helped her stay on her feet as I rolled my eyes. It was her own fault. After Amy, she hadn't eaten or drunk anything.