02

The next morning, Ryan was making out with Amy in the woods as per freaking usual, Dakota was by the pond trying to catch fish and Abby was with Sophia.

As for me, I was cleaning clothes with Carol. It wasn't a job I craved doing, but it stopped the other members of the group from complaining that I don't do anything.

"Morning," Carol greeted, and I looked up to be met with the sheriff from the night before.

He was no longer in his uniform though and donned a white t-shirt; it felt odd to see him without it.

I glanced towards the lake to see that Dakota was unaware of his presence. Although she was calmer now, I didn't want to risk an encounter between the two.

"Morning." He said.

"They're still a little damp," said Carol, "I'll have them dry in no time."

I looked back at her to see her patting his uniform. She must've washed it before I arrived to help, but I honestly don't see why we're treating him with such hospitality.

He may have gotten rid of Merle, but that didn't mean he earned some kind of high status. Not in my eyes, at least.

"You washed my clothes?" He asked. I rolled my eyes at his tone.

Carol seemed to think he was surprised—I thought he was being inconsiderate. Washing clothes was horrendous and she did it without anyone asking her to do it.

We didn't deserve to have her around, if I'm being honest. As much as I hated washing clothes, I would rather everyone had to do it than just the women.

"A 'thank you' would be nice," I grumbled. His eyes flicked to me and I could see him remembering our encounter.

A scowl fell across my face as Carol handed him his clothes. Despite being a bitch, I still thanked people when they did something nice for me. Not as often as I should have, but at least I tried.

"We haven't been properly introduced," He said. "I'm Rick Grimes."

I stifled a laugh. Of all the nicknames I could've come up with, I said the one with his actual name in it. He narrowed his eyes at me. Carol shot me a warning look.

"I'm Josephine Malloy," I replied. "Wish I could say it was nice to meet you, Ranger Rick, but I'd be lying."

A weak smile tugged at his lips. This was the first time that someone wasn't offended at my snarky comment—other members of the group didn't appreciate my somewhat crude comments and actions.

If the sheriff was gonna stay, it was nice to know he wouldn't take my words to heart.

"Thank you, Josephine Malloy, for washing my clothes." He said.

Ranger Rick began walking away before I could point out that it wasn't me who washed his clothes, but Carol. His words surprised me to the point where I had to stop for a few moments.

"He seems nice," Carol noted, "Why don't you like him?"

I shrugged, eyes still glued to his retreating figure. Upon meeting him for the first time, I thought he was going to be one of those people who wanted me kicked out of the group.

It was always clear to me that they would prefer me somewhere else.

"I'm not known to like people, Carol. Only to hate some less than others."

"We both know that's not true." She countered. I turned my head to see her giving me a stern look.

Her looking after me wasn't something unexpected—she had been doing it ever since she saw my scars. Despite my act of not caring, Carol was the only person that I liked in the group.