Thirty Four

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

"I'm going to be the deadliest piece on the board

"I'm going to be the deadliest piece on the board."

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

My eyes fluttered open, my gaze filling with light as the sun filtered through the blinds. I shot up from my place on the cozy, cozy bed that I did not want to leave. Blankets pooled around me and I looked at the non-existent mess on the floor. Not even a trace of salt or wax from flaming candles.

    How long had I been out?

    Abruptly, I crawled from the bed, practically knocking the door off its hinges as I slammed it open. I flew through the house, my steps creating soft thumps as I descended the stairs in a panic.

    I paused when I reached the threshold of the living room. Two sets of eyes turned toward me faster than lightning. Relief of different kinds flashed through both sets. The Blue-Green eyes flashed with a knowing relief, as if there had been an underlying and irrational  worry proved wrong. The brown eyes held a hopeful relief as if there was something I could do, something I could help with.

    Klaus and Elena.

    Elena sat tied to a dark wood chair with tight ropes, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. Klaus's arms were on the chair as he leaned over Elena, and yet both their heads had turned to me.

    "Lili, please." Elena sobbed, that hope shining in her eyes even brighter. "He's going to kill me."

    I stared at the doppelganger. The girl who had stolen my family. The one who had toyed with my brothers' minds just as the woman before her had done.

    The girl who I had once considered my friend.

    I turned toward Klaus, who was in the process of straightening himself as he pulled away from her chair. "Can you give us a moment?" I questioned, my voice carefully emotionless.

    Klaus's eyes narrowed a fraction, his gaze flickering between Elena and I before he relaxed his shoulders, nodding his head slightly. He crossed the room aiming to pass me at the threshold.

    But he stopped. Klaus stood beside me, his eyes roaming over me with both concern and something else I didn't care to name in the moment. His hand reached out, grabbing my forearm and slowly tugging me toward him until his mouth was next to my ear.

    "We need to talk." He whispered, his voice like a caress of sound.

    I inhaled, my chest feeling heavy all of a sudden. I nodded, pulling away to look at him. My voice was low enough that Elena couldn't hear as I said, "And we will."

    Klaus's hand on my arm twitched as if he were about to let me go but decided not to. For a heartbeat longer, both of us stood at the threshold until slowly, so very slowly his hand slid away, almost gliding against my skin before he walked away.