Seventy-Six

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

"And suddenly, sadness turned to anger

"And suddenly, sadness turned to anger."

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

I FELT IT when the barrier fell. When the magic surrounding the room ceased to exist, falling away into ashes and dust.

Even with the dreaded chains on and blocking my magic I was still hyper aware of the comings and goings of it. Like feeling the waves of the world as they swirled and crashed.

I stood quickly, "Oh, thank god." I praised, before looking back to Klaus who stared at me questioningly, "The barrier's down."

He stood after, just as eager and infinitely more impatient. I walked to the door quickly, practically yanking it open in the hopes of breathing in some fresh air for the first time in days. I hadn't realized I'd miss it so much.

The door hung back, and I was assaulted with a lovely night wind. I breathed deeply, still standing in the threshold as I basked in the night for a moment.

But a faint sniffle drew my attention away.

I turned around, looking at Klaus questioningly. He looked nearly as suspicious as me.

Hesitantly, I took a step out of the house, searching for anyone nearby with a hawk's eye. I wasn't above thinking that the remnants of the Mystic Gang wouldn't try to kill us the moment we got out of that living room.

The sound rang through the air again and I turned my head toward the source.

My eyes caught on a familiar head of blonde hair. Caroline sat on the swinging porch bench of the Gilbert house, having not yet noticed Klaus or I's presence. Tears stained her cheeks as she looked off at the road as if someone might show up at any second.

As if Tyler might show up at any second.

Without blinking, I crossed the porch toward her. Caroline's head snapped up, realizing I was there. Her face crumpled, and placed her head in her hands as she began to sob.

Quickly, I sat down beside her, wrapping her up in the tightest hug I could muster. She leaned into me, whispering a soft, "He's gone." a sniffle. "Tyler left."

I looked up at Klaus from where he just exited the house.

Caroline's head snapped up as she sensed his presence and she steeled herself so thoroughly it was like she hadn't even been crying at all.

Her brows furrowed and she looked between both Klaus and I. "How did you get out?"

I replied as Klaus made his slow venture toward us, "The spell was bound to the new moon. It just passed."