Seventy Three

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

"I love it when someone insults me, it means I don't have to be nice anymore

"I love it when someone insults me, it means I don't have to be nice anymore."

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

    DEATH HAD NEVER BEEN A FOREIGN CONCEPT. It had never been something to be feared or rued. It had been an end, a beginning. Death had been a constant. A dependable part of life each and every person was forced into.

    But immortality ruins. It creates twists and turns. It forces you to face death and wins that battle for you. Creates security. It brings hope and familiarity and eventually death becomes something that happens to others.

    It happens to others and never happens to you.

    Grief is unfamiliar because we surround ourselves with those who will never leave us. Those who cannot leave us within the grip of death because death is incapable of catching us.

    I have not had to grieve in two-hundred years. And now it was tearing me apart just as the world did.

    I had known Kol for three days. Three days and the sight of his ashen body, burnt on the floor was enough to send me into a whorl of shock and sadness.

    I stopped struggling in the doppelganger's grip, unable to tear my eyes away from my fallen friend. He looked nothing of a man. Kol had become a husk. A thousand years of life gone in a mere blink of an eye and turned into nothing more than a skeleton.

    My breath was uneven. Death an unfamiliar entity. "What have you done?" I whispered. I looked up, murder on my mind as I turned to the brother and sister that had caused all of this. Had caused all of this chaos that had ruined us all.

    But their eyes were not on me.

    They were on the threshold.

    I turned, looking to see what had taken their attention so fully. 

    But it was not a what. It was a who.

    And I found myself breaking out of Elena's grasp so forcefully that she stumbled away. I found myself running toward him. I found myself throwing my arms around him as I reached the doorway and burying my head in his chest with a need to both gain comfort and give him all the comfort I could.

Klaus was stiff, his limbs shaking ever so slightly even as his arms tightened around me, snaking around my waist  and pulling me impossibly closer.

I looked up at him, a weight forming in my chest at the sight of the unshed tears in his eyes. "I'm sorry," I whispered, "I'm so sorry."

He did not look at me. But, again, his arms tightened around me even as his eyes were still trained on the body in the middle of the kitchen. On the two people responsible for it.