Fifty-Three

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

"Paint me as a villain

"Paint me as a villain."

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

    I wandered back up to my bedroom, wanting to avoid the inevitable fight that would break out between the vampires downstairs. Shock rolled through me in steady waves as I climbed toward the second level of the house

A cure. A cure to immortality. To vampirism.

It should have been a saving grace. A miracle cast upon me by some merciful god that seemed to take pity on my world. I should have been happy about the chance to become human again.

And yet I found myself disinterested.

Worried at most, about the repercussions it would wreak on Mystic Falls.

I should want that cure. Should want it more than I had wanted anything in my entire immortal life.

And I couldn't stop myself from wondering why I didn't want it as I opened the door to my bedroom and shut it behind me. Couldn't help but beg the question: what had changed?

Months ago I would have leaped at the chance to end my torment. To live out a single lifetime as a human rather than thousands as a heretic. Cast away from witches because I was a vampire, cast away from vampires because I was a witch. Having no place to belong aside from those who had chosen to betray me so long ago. My fellow heretics.

My people as I had called them. And they had stabbed me straight through the back with a sharper knife than I had ever felt.

I shoulder want that lonely torment to end.

And yet I found myself wishing for longer lifetimes. For the ability to see the world grow and change. For strength and speed. To meet new people, to lead different lives.

It was all so strange I found myself distraught. Distraught about wanting to live, how ironic.

I sat down on my bed, scooting back until my back was leaned against the headboard, my head turned to the right as I watched a soft breeze flow through my window a flurry through the sheer white drapes that hung along it.

It brought a soft smile to my face. Such a peaceful sight watching the moonlight dance across the floor and trickle through the room. Wrapping around me like a soft blanket. Such peace. A stark contrast from her torn thoughts.

A crash sounded from downstairs, and I rolled my eyes. Something had been broken, my bet was it was a table or a chair that someone had been thrown onto. It was probably Stefan. He was very throwable.

Another sound rang through the house and that time I was sure it was glass. Now that part was a toss-up. Could be a vase, could be a window, or the glass coffee table in the sitting room.