Seventy-One

WARNING: CHAPTER CONTAINS EXPLICIT CONTENT 🌶️

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

"You have a place in my heart that no one else could ever hold

"You have a place in my heart that no one else could ever hold."

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

    IT WAS ODD. This new routine I had grown accustomed to. This level of domesticity I had never had before.

    Normal.

    A word I had never thought I'd use to describe my whirlwind of a life, yet it seemed to be the only way to capture this level of chaotic order I lived deep within.

    I had realized it the night before, how much everything had warped and changed within the passing months, as Klaus and I returned home—to the mansion we lived in together—and crawled into his bed as though we had done it a thousand times before. As though it was natural. Even within exhaustion weighing on us both, unsaid words dangling between us, it seemed inevitable. Inescapable.

    We had done this same thing too many times to count. It was mindless now. Never thought twice about. Sharing a bed had never felt so customary.

    I had realized it again as he wrapped me up in his arms underneath the silken sheets, pressing a soft, uncharacteristically tender kiss to my neck as his arm splayed across my abdomen, and my hand entwined with his to keep it there. As his head had rested within the crook of my neck for the rest of the night.

    And as I woke in the morning, again the word flashed within my mind as Klaus's arms still banded around me in the early morning, having not let go within the deep hours of the night. His presence a soft and steady call to my own.

    Soft and steady. We were both anything but. Prickly and vengeful seemed a more accurate description.

    But...perhaps not with each other...

    The thought was startling. Just as all and any thoughts I had about him were.

    Just as this new sense of security—of familiarity was.

    Terrifying. It was terrifying to feel such trust. Such dependance upon another. Such ease and intimacy. It was utterly, undeniably terrifying.

    And, even as that—that attachment, that need, that desire, that corruption—sent a cold shiver of fear into my bones, I sidled closer to him. A movement I was sure had not been of my own will. The movement was...natural. Natural like breathing. My body molding with his like two pieces of a broken puzzle.

    Klaus's grip tightened around me, his hot breath fanning over my skin.

    He was awake, I knew he was awake. Maybe he had been conscious longer than the sun. I did not care.