21 (S)

__________

They tell me, "Think with my head, not that thing in my chest,"

They got their hands at my neck this time.

But you're the one that I want if that's really so wrong,

Then they don't know what this feeling is like.

__________

"Why are you still here, Liam?" I ask, holding his hand from across the table.

After yesterday night, we fell asleep with no words between us. He understood what I needed. He knows what he needs to do- what I need to do. That was surprising, to say the least, but Liam suddenly became an ocean that I can fall into and swim, but not drown. He has suddenly become my haven.

My safe place.

"What did you expect?" he replies, his fork gliding into another piece of the cheese omelet I made him.

"I-I don't know, actually. You know I have my fair share of baggage, right?" I ask him, in case he forgot about last night.

"Si. Do you want me to go away?" he asks, his fork clanging on the plate.

"N-No, of course not. I am sorry," I apologize, lowering my eyes.

"I want to know what happened, Sierra," he changes the topic, squeezing my hand.

"I- you should know that I- uhm, I was abducted," I blurt out, shutting my eyes tightly, subconsciously expecting a lash.

"What?" he asks lowly, his tone soft and unbelieving.

This is Liam. Liam, who loves me.

"Three years back. I had a flashback last night. That's why- I freaked out," I reply, my tone more confident than before. He gets up quickly, making way across his dining table and kneeling beside me, wrapping his arms around my waist. I lower my hand to his head, my fingers entwining in his hair. "Liam- I don't know if I am over it. I don't know that I won't panic the next time I see - or feel -  something that triggers me. It will not just be my baggage if you stay with me, baby. It will be yours, too. I don't want that for you," I say quietly, stroking his head.

"I love you, Sierra. I want all of you. I want your problems to be mine. I want to help you get over it. It's my choice, Si. You can't force me to leave you. I-- I won't leave you unless you ask me to; genuinely ask me to," he says, murmuring against my shirt.

"I don't want you to leave," I whisper, tears gathering in my eyes.

"Then, I am not leaving. Ever. I promise."

**********

"I am going to be so late for work," I announce, incompetently slipping on my shoes and balancing while talking to Caroline who's watching me like I am a cartoon TV show from the couch.

"Who told you to have sex with boss-man all night long and be late to come home?" she asks rhetorically.

"We just slept. We didn't have sex. I freaked out when he tried to touch me," I say quietly, making my sister's eyes widen.

"Shit."

"Yeah," I reply.

"So...? What did he say to that? Do I need to mess his pretty face up?" she asks, flexing her fists.

"What? No, Care! I told him that I was kidnapped," I reply, lowering my eyes.

"What?!" she screeches. "All of it?!"

"No. Just the fact. I couldn't tell him the rest," I say quietly.

"Good, you should tell him when you want to, okay? Do not feel under pressure to unveil all your life in front of him...and if he makes you feel like you have to, dump his ass," she says, smiling.

"Sure, that's the best advice I have ever listened to," I deadpan, making my sister laugh hysterically. "Bye, now," I call, retreating towards the door.

"Bye, lady," she announces, making me shake my head in exasperation.

I walk down from the building and down to the bus stop, twiddling my transit card in my fingers. My eyes wander around me as I feel a gaze burning into me, and though my heart tells me it's just my paranoia, my mind tells me it's not.

What if it's Kayden?

What if he knows I told Liam?

Oh my god...Liam.

In a hurry to call him, the card falls onto the concrete of the pavement, but I grip my phone tightly in my hand, my shaky fingers pressing on Liam's contact and the dial tone ringing into my ears.

"Hi, ba-"

"Oh, thank god," I huff, my body deflating from all the stress. I wipe the stray tears from my cheeks and sigh contently.

"What's wrong?" he asks, and I hear clattering in the background. "Where are you? Do you want me to come to you?"

"Oh, ah-no, Liam-- it's fine," I stutter, my breath evening out as I pick up the card from the ground, making my way to the bus.

"Are you okay? You seem...rattled," he states, his voice dripping with compassion.

"I am o-" I almost say, but stop. I need to share. Tell him what I am feeling.

 "I- umm, I am scared. What if the person who took me knows that I told you about him? I don't know what I would do if he...hurt you or worse, or - um- and, I don't want to lose you just because I overshared! I am sorry, Liam, I never should have said anything; now you're in danger because of me and I didn't even think-"

"Breathe, baby," he instructs, making my chest inflate with air.

"I am-- breathing," I exhale.

"Of course you are," he chuckles innocently, and I shake my head.

"I was!" I argue. He laughs boisterously from the other end.

"I love you," he sobers, making me lower my eyes in guilt.

Do I love him?

Do I even know what love is?

"How do you love me?" I ask, shifting between my feet at the bus stop.

"That's a question I'll never know the answer to. "

"You're not one of the cringy ones?! Impossible," I smile.

"Very possible. Speaking of love, though, care to go to a fundraiser with me? My friend's hosting it for a non-profit children's hospital he owns," Liam asks frivolously, as if it wasn't the first event we would go together to.

"Of course, when is it?" I smile widely.

"Tonight. You'll find a dress with your sister when you get home, don't forget to wear it!" he says happily, and I shake my head.

"I can get my own-"

"Nah. You are going to wear the dress I send you, okay?"

"Okay," I say quietly, and the bus pulls up in front of me.

Author's Note

Someone added my book to their reading lists so here's an update. Love my readers! Don't forget to vote and comment, thank you ;)