22(S)

_________

'Cause we keep on coming back for more.

_________

My jaw drops to the floor.

"I fucking love it," I say into the phone, making Liam chuckle from the other end. He called me to tell me that he would reach at 8 to pick me up, and ended up being on the phone while I walked home after getting off the bus.

"It will look better on your body. Or, after being taken off your body, depends where this night goes," Liam says, making me grin widely. 

Still making the sexual jokes, I see.

"Depends," I murmur, hence hearing a gasp from the other end.

"Do you-"

"Gotta go get ready, Liam, see you in..." I check my watch, "one hour forty-two minutes," I say, hanging up.

Poor guy.

Liam already told me a thousand times that he wouldn't make a move. Ever. While that had me pouting, he told me that he wouldn't hesitate to fuck the living lights out of me the second I said so.

I sit down next to my dress on the bed, the maroon silk glinting in the low lights of the room. I stroke the fabric with my fingers, the feeling soft and smooth. I flop down on the mattress, my hair splaying across my forehead. I want to love Liam.

Love.

Do I love him? The way his electric blue eyes sparkle when he laughs. How he squeezes my hand when he's nervous, how he hugs me from behind, wrapping his arms around my stomach, his fingers gently resting at the sides of my breasts. How he kisses my neck but stops right on my collarbone, desperate to not go over my boundaries. The pit in my stomach when I think of life without him. The pain in my heart when I disappoint him. The rue in my mind when he says he wants me.

The love in my soul when he says he loves me.

"I love Liam Merrell," I say out loud, the words sending pleasurable shivers down my spine, a wide grin plastered on my face. "I love him," I repeat, smiling even wider. The same phrase repeats in my mind as I get up to dress.

**********

"I'm coming up," Liam says as soon as I pick up the phone.

"I love you," I blurt out. I am met by a really deep silence that makes me bite my lip and shift on my feet. "...Liam?"

"Uh-sorry-" he huffs, "I-uh- I swear I'm," he pants again, "I'm not out of shape, it's just-" he pants again, coughing, "it was six floors and ten seconds," he completes, and I hear a doorbell.

"Is that-"

"Yeah, open up," he instructs and hangs up. I open the door, where he slams his lips onto mine, pouring every bit of passion - of love - that I could feel in my bones. I moan against his mouth, recovering from the shock and wrapping my arm around his tuxedo-clad waist. He detaches his mouth from mine, breathing heavily.

"I love you," I say again, making him smile and give me a quick peck on the lips, taking my leg in his arm, "Jump," he says, kissing me and murmuring against my lips. I jump and he grabs my other leg, making me wrap them around his hips. His tongue sweeps across my lips, and I suddenly feel myself being lowered onto my bed, his body still snug against mine. "I love you more," he says, kissing down my neck, sucking at a spot on my collarbone, making my back arch and my breaths heavier.

"Gonna be-" I huff, a moan erupting from my mouth, "-late," I complete.

"Right," he acquiesces, getting off me. "You-" he starts, looking at my laid form on the sofa "that dress- I-" he tries again, making me laugh.

"You're cute," I comment, making him pout.

"The tuxedo doesn't do you justice," I say, and an inadvertent smile rises on his face. He extends a hand towards me, and I take it, getting up from the couch.

"I'm going to fix my hair, and we'll leave, okay?" I say, rushing to my room.

"I love the hair, though!" he calls out, making me laugh. Again.

"And, I love you," I say lowly, a smile stretching on my lips.

**********

Oh, this is bad.

Right now, here at the fundraiser, millionaires are sipping from their champagne flutes and giggling about how their company's share value increased. Sometimes, I forget that Liam's rich. I forget it.

And that's not helping me right now.

Even with Liam's reassuring hand at the small of my back, his promising words being whispered in my ear every now and then, I couldn't feel more out of place. The people are rich, seemingly unscarred, and unbothered. 

Thank god, Liam got me the dress, or I would have been severely ... embarrassing.

"I need alcohol," I whisper in Liam's ear, and he nods, busy in conversation with a Marcus who is the CEO of some other company.

Who cares?

"Do you want me to come with you?" he asks quietly, interrupting his chat.

"Ah-no. You should- uh- continue, and I'll just sit right there," I point at the barstool, "drinking millionaire-champagne, okay?" Liam chuckles, nodding, "Sure, babe," he pecks my lips, "call me when you want me."

"Oh, I'll always want you," I reply, walking away.

As I walk to the bar, the ghost of a gaze burns into me, making shivers run down my spine. I look around, my eyes catching Liam's as he looks at me with concern, making me brush it off with the shake of my head. "Champagne," I mutter, reaching the barstool, "May I have a glass of champagne, please?" I ask the bartender, and he nods and smiles in acknowledgment. He sets the flute on the counter and I sip the sparkling drink, sighing in relief.

"Loosen up, Sia," I hear a baritone right behind me, a fingertip trailing down my shoulder blade, and goosebumps erupt across my skin. I swivel around on my barstool and meet a pair of deep green eyes. My eyes widen, my heart speeding up and thumping painfully against my chest. My throat closes up, tears threatening to well in my eyes.

"Ma-Kayden," I whisper.