Prologue

He could get used to these glasses

The prescription was homogeneous, and the lightweight, gold frames that sat perfectly on the bridge of his nose suited his sullen features down to a T.

What Kim Taehyung couldn't get used to were the shabby sneakers that he'd pilfered from his doppelgänger's wardrobe. It's not that the fit was inappropriate, it was simply that they looked hideous on his exemplary feet.

Alas, the enemy was hiding in plain sight, and it was crucial for him to blend in despite having to wave farewell to his impeccable taste.

Adjusting his spectacles, Taehyung angled his neck and squinted at the only thing barring entry to Jimin's will and testament. The safe's keypad was troublesome, for it would accept neither Yunhee's birthday nor the significant date of the café event.

What other code would the Mafia King choose to guard his livelihood?

Taehyung whipped off his glasses with an exasperated rumble as the phone he'd strategically placed on the desk vibrated. He was contemplating entering a sequence of random combinations and carelessly triggering the security alarm, but less than eight hours at the mansion urged him to remain patient.

Kidnapping Hahm Yunhee amidst a fierce shootout was not part of his agenda and would spoil all future fun.

Pit-pat. Pit-pat.

Taehyung's head snapped sharply towards the study door, his eyes tapering to slits as he listened out for the approaching figure.

Pit-pat. Pit-pat. Pit-pat.

The footsteps were no louder than a fly's footfall, but someone was heading his way and - judging by the stimulating murmurs tingling in his ears - it could only be her.

Clutching the historic painting resting against the Chesterfield, Taehyung hiked it up and draped it over the hook above the safe. He was beside the desk in seconds, nonchalantly swiping up his phone as the handle rattled and the door sailed open.

Ah, as graceful as ever.

Yunhee stumbled barefoot into the study, her balance thrown by the clumsy kick she'd administered while trying to keep hold of some oblong item draped in a dust sheet.

Stifling a snort, Taehyung cocked his head and waited for her notice she had company, an enlivened chuckle tickling his throat when she finally made eye contact and jerked to a dramatic halt.

'Tae!' Yunhee blurted, her delightful face illustrating confusion as she clasped whatever the heck she carried tight against her chest. 'What are you-? The meeting's not until later.'

The composed man wiggled his charcoal brows, flipping and catching his smartphone like one of his Raptors before pocketing it with an embarrassed grin. 'Left my phone in here earlier.'