Chapter 7

'You seem nervous

'You seem nervous.'

Yunhee had been sitting in silence, concentrating on the reflection of the wing mirror, but upon hearing the assumptive comment, she shifted her attention to the man lolling comfortably behind the wheel.

Kim Taehyung.

Dressed in a green cricket sweater and stonewashed jeans, his eyes shielded from the winter sun beneath a pair of Wayfarers. He appeared wholly focused on the streets lined with boutiques and bars, but the delicate smile on his lips was a telling sign; he'd clocked her staring.

Moistening her dry lips, Yunhee quickly averted her interest back to the wing mirror. 'I am nervous.'

'Because we're going on a date?'

Tae's gaze did not leave the road as Yunhee snorted and cast him a disbelieving glance. 'You're so full of yourself.'

The chuckle that left his mouth was coarse and scarlet red, his sun-kissed hair cascading over his forehead when he lifted his sunnies and fired a wolfish grin her way. 'I remember a time when we used to love going on dates.'

'Yes, Tae,' Yunhee simmered as she assertively adjusted her seat belt, 'when we were actually dating. Today is about catching your psychotic doppelgänger. So, quit making it about us and focus on getting us to our destination.'

'Oof,' Tae whistled and nudged his glasses back down to his nose, 'yes, ma'am.'

The miles, the motion, the interchanging roads between Pyeongchang-dong and the heart of Seoul.

Bearable if not for the blistering vitality emanating from the driver. They'd agreed to remain friends, and although she would be forever grateful for his aid, Tae made it his business to flirt with her when Jimin was absent.

Those beguiling bedroom eyes meeting hers at any given opportunity. Purposefully leaving wet towels on the floor so that he could be "arrested". It was the Tae she'd fallen for all those months ago. A Tae she hadn't seen when their relationship withered away and died.

Life changed, circumstances changed, and Yunhee was as sure as death and taxes that she was destined to be with Jimin. If their interwoven lives spanning two universes wasn't a dead giveaway, her affection for him and the unbreakable bond they shared was.

It was as strong as the voice of fate that bound them together, and nothing in this world or the next could tear them apart.

And yet, the platonic love for Tae was on the cusp of bursting beneath the energy radiating between them. Yunhee could scream at her ex and insist he "behave" until the cows came home, but her words held no power when her actions contradicted her condemnation.

More than willing to put herself in the firing line to end to their troubles, she had risen to the challenge and accepted the date that was merely a trick, but hunting Taehyung down and removing him from the equation was not what terrified her.