Chapter 26

Taehyung sure didn't do things by halves

The four guards - decked out in tactical gear and K2 assault rifles - had been patrolling the perimeter of the mansion for the past ten minutes, while Jimin scooted from Bonsai to azalea to spider-infested larch setting up the Tornado Two frags.

Thankfully, he'd managed to complete the first stage of their non compos mentis mission without getting a bullet lodged in his arse.

The airsoft grenades were planted throughout the gardens with timers set to ninety second intervals, which gave him twelve measly minutes to get inside, find Yunhee, meet the guys, steal a couple of cars and drive away into the sunset with the stone.

Whose idea was this again?

Wiping his perspiring brow, Jimin rose onto his haunches and peeked through the patio balustrades.

The open riser staircase leading up to the sunroom was his point of re-entry. It would put him on the east side of the house and give him direct access to the sitting room Yunhee was supposedly in, but the traversing guerrillas were back and blocking his path.

'Do these guys ever take a break?' he mumbled as he watched them cross the terrace for the umpteenth time and disappear around the corner of the building. 'Yes, go.'

Collapsing onto the dewy grass, Jimin ripped up a Velcro strap on his grenade belt and carefully withdrew a deadly M67 from the pocket.

The propane-filled devices dotted around the grounds would fire hundreds of BBs in every direction and keep Taehyung and his dogs entertained for a while, but this lethal little beauty was going to leave a mark.

'Remember, Jimin,' he muttered as he eyeballed the piss-ugly water feature a few metres away, 'when the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.'

Crouch-running along the lawn, he took the patio steps two at a time while wrenching the metal pin out with his teeth. When he reached the top, he spun and pitched the grenade into the fountain, hearing it land in the water with a plop as he broke into a sprint to avoid the military confetti.

'Fucking hell!' Jimin heaved as a deafening blast almost burst his eardrums.

The shockwave came next, shattering the mansion windows as he dived for cover beneath the sunroom stairs. Chunks of limestone and tufts of grass whizzed through the air like meteorites, shards of glass clinking to the floor until there was nothing but tinnitus ringing in his ears.

'Holy shit,' Jimin coughed as he wafted the fine debris from his face and peered through the open slats in the steps.

It looked like a war zone out there, patio railings jutting out of the terrace like an outcrop of mountain rock, a deep crater gouged into the lawn where the fountain once stood.

Nice one. Yunhee would love that.

'On the double!'

Jimin drew his Raptor and slinked deeper into the shadows when security began to appear from every exit.