Chapter 22

Vivaldi's Winter

Vivaldi's Winter.

A smooth yet persistent rhythm giving life to the gradual fall of snowflakes and a rapid quiver of violins chattering like teeth in the extreme cold.

The shrill movement resonating around the living room was chilling, but it soothed Taehyung's nerves as the rich Malbec melted on his palate.

It was a pleasure to unwind after a day of catching up on business. The earnings from the House of Cards combined with his network of various enterprises brought in a sustainable income, but while money was no object, he was going to need a significant sum to alter the core values of Jimin's club.

Hyun Bin - his latest associate - nurtured a team of broodmares on a vast ranch outside Gwangju, but it was Taehyung's investment that helped the man jump-start his vocation. With the expectation of generating another income himself, of course.

There was a lot of money to be gained in horse racing, and to increase the chance of finding winning champions, the industry depended on breeding a large quantity of thoroughbreds at a high turn-over rate.

Now that he was home, Taehyung was keen to meet their latest prize; a stoutly bred mare proven to be the source of several impressive stallions. The Countess was quite the "catch", and after seeing the fine beauty at the stables this morning, he and Hyun Bin had enjoyed a ride out to discuss upcoming prospects.

A fulfilling endeavour indeed, but being away from Yunhee for hours on end left him eager to return to Pyeongchang-dong to ensure the brazen woman was behaving herself. Keeping his distance last night was a difficult task, and throughout the course of the day, he had to remind himself that there was no rush.

Over time, he would woo Yunhee with gentle caresses and touching gifts that would see her willingly fall into his arms.

A shift in the foyer captured Taehyung's attention, a sharp inhale of breath rushing through gloss-coated lips when his gaze met a pair of startled eyes peering through the ajar door.

My, my. The little minx was spying on him.

Placing his wine aside, Taehyung climbed to his feet and poured Yunhee a helping of vino, smirking like a Cheshire Cat when her slim figure retreated a step.

'Won't you come in?' he asked as he leaned against the drink's cabinet and observed her through the narrow slit in the door.

What a titillating sight to behold.

Yunhee loitered in the hallway like a lost lamb, torn between entering and fleeing back to her bedchamber. He was a man of little patience, but tonight, he was intrigued to see the decision she would make.

To his delight, Yunhee smoothed her shaking palms over her dress and pushed on the door. Nails clinking against her wine glass, Taehyung watched her slip into the living room, but while her gaze was nervously averted, he took the opportunity to soak up her radiant appearance.