Chapter 23

'

'

'Jinnie!' Yunhee darted through the darkness to the man huddled in the corner, her palms blindly locating his shoulders and sliding up his neck as she sank to her knees. 'Jinnie, it's me!'

'What...?' he croaked, sluggishly lifting his head as a bulb on the ceiling sizzled to life and Taehyung closed the cell door. 'Y-Yunhee?'

Jinnie's parched lips parted in shock, his bloodshot gaze blinking at her under the harsh light before his bottom lip wobbled and he fell into her arms with a muffled sob.

'Yunhee!' he wailed as his arms wound around her petite waist. 'Thank goodness you're okay!'

'Me? I'm not the one locked in Taehyung's basement!' she exclaimed as she pulled away to inspect his physical condition. 'Oh, God, look at you!'

Yunhee was stunned to see an inch of raven roots growing from his scalp, the electric lilac he'd maintained since Jimin's death fading to match an unhealthy skin tone cluttered with misshapen bruises.

The yellowish hues suggested that he was on the mend, but at one point, they would have been purple and swollen. The joy Yunhee felt seeing him alive was overwhelming, but the thought of Taehyung's men abusing this precious soul made her stomach churn and her blood simmer.

'I'm...I'm fine,' Jinnie said bravely as he untucked his legs and stretched them out across the filthy floor. 'I want to say that it's a relief to see you, but I'd be lying. What the heck are you doing here?'

'It's a really long story,' Yunhee sighed, 'but you should know that while you've been here, Jimin found his way home.'

'He did?' Jinnie snivelled before fist-pumping the air. 'Get in, son!'

'It's the elements! Water, fire, earth and wind! They open the vortex!'

'So, Jiminie and Joonie were on the right track! That's amazeballs!'

Yunhee's lashes pooled with tears, her fingers compassionately stroking his cheek as she spoke. 'But you've been imprisoned here all this time.'

'Nah! It's a bit cold and dark and I really miss my memory foam mattress,' Jinnie admitted as he sagged against the dank bricks. 'Oh, and my underpants started to chafe on day three as well, but on the bright side, they gave me a clean pair, and they always let me use the bathroom to take a leak.'

Appalled at his words and furious that her friend had been treated so poorly, Yunhee peeked over her shoulder and burned a hole through the wooden barricade where Taehyung waited on the other side.

'Motherfucker,' she spat before glancing at Jinnie with a mournful visage. 'I'm so sorry they took you. If not for me, you wouldn't be caught up in this mess-'

'Don't say that,' Jinnie scolded as he prodded her bare arm. 'There's no place I'd rather be.'

'Don't say that,' Yunhee repeated with a giggle.