Chapter 39

'Ow!' Yunhee whimpered when her backside struck dirt and her legs scraped a rugged wall

'Ow!' Yunhee whimpered when her backside struck dirt and her legs scraped a rugged wall. 'Really?'

Dazed and confused, the aching woman opened one eyelid, positive that she was going to see a yellow brick road after being tossed around inside a tornado like Dorothy and her little dog.

Weird, there wasn't a munchkin, wicked witch, or scarecrow in sight. She was lying on a dusty floor outside a rundown building with scaffolded rollercoasters encircling her.

This was not the Land of Oz.

Yunhee shot up with a jagged inhale, her heart beating erratically as her memory came flying back.

Taehyung and Mee on the parapet. Jimin, Tae and all her treasured sidekicks watching on as he threatened to throw her from the rooftop. But she'd pushed the stone into the water tank. The portal had opened, whisking them away and spitting them out at the sister stone's location.

This was Crystal Kingdom.

'Jimin...?' Yunhee croaked while looking around. 'J-Jin? Tae...?'

The place was deserted, nothing but the desolate theme park surrounding her as the eerie breeze carried The Dark Energy's undertones through the air.

Highly aware that Taehyung was close by, Yunhee climbed to her feet, pausing when the whispers billowing in the wind became increasingly clearer.

Steadily turning her head, she stared in astonishment at the janitor's building before edging closer to press her ear against the brick.

'What the hell...?'

It wasn't The Dark Energy; it was a commotion of well-known voices coming from inside.

Hearing their escalating panic, Yunhee hurried to the other side of the building to locate the door, yelping when she tripped over a body and landed on her hands and knees. Scrambling to her feet, she was shocked to discover a redheaded lady sprawled at her toes.

'Mee!' she cried, crouching to help the woman sit up as she gradually came to her senses. 'Are you alright?'

'Yunhee...' Mee's nails dug into her wrists, her skin as white as a sheet as her petrified gaze focused on something behind her. 'You...you need to get out of here.'

'What?' Alarmed by her terrified expression, Yunhee slowly peered over her shoulder, her world tilting upside down when she saw an unconscious, dishevelled man slumped against the mouldy door. 'Fuck...'

Taehyung.

Swallowing the acidic bile in her throat, Yunhee moistened her dry lips and rapidly scanned the vicinity for his armed guards.

There was not a sentry in sight.

'It actually worked, Mee,' Yunhee murmured as they helped each other up. 'The vortex consumed everyone but Taehyung's men. There was no way you could fall to your death if-'