Chapter 24

Four Days Later

Four Days Later

No.

He pointblank refused to remove his shoes and socks and step into the six inches of dirt-ridden water again. He'd already checked the gold and turquoise feature eight times in as many hours.

Fed up beyond belief, Tae plunked onto the fountain ledge and considered shooting Suga a "Nicotine SOS" message. That's how stressed he was; Suga was looking for the stone somewhere within the maze of Crystal Kingdom, while he pissed around in the courtyard craving a cigarette.

He'd nearly asked if he could bum a smoke halfway through their heart-to-heart a couple of nights ago, but Jungkook and Hobi were present, and he honestly couldn't be arsed with the pep talk.

It was better to keep the air clear, especially after the three men had approached him to apologise for their embarrassing blunder.

In the grand scheme of things, Tae had decided that there was nothing to forgive.

After suffering at the hands of his nut job doppelgänger, he came to the rational conclusion that no one man was to blame for not spotting the obvious. Every single person - Jin, Jimin, Namjoon, Yunhee, himself - had been duped by the calculative Mafia King.

Now was not the time to be on bad terms with his best friends. They needed each other more than ever because saving Yunhee from a version of himself that had gone horribly wrong was their number one priority.

The non-flowing log flume, the half-empty swimming pool, the renowned photo booth. They'd combed every inch of the deserted theme park for the past four days, but the group had turned over nothing, and Tae had yet to regain his memory after being knocked unconscious by a bullet.

Dissociative amnesia had wiped his slate clean, making it nigh impossible to remember where they'd been located when he was shot. To add insult to injury, his thoughts were still clogged with the barmy conversation he'd recently had with Park Jimin.

'Are you willing to hear me out?'

'Two months ago, I would have told you to go fuck yourself.'

'And now?'

'I'm listening.'

Tae puffed out his cheeks while massaging his nape. He should have known that something significant was coming judging by the look in Jimin's eyes, but suggesting that he take over Taehyung's life was not what he'd expected.

In fact, it was so far off the charts that he'd batted the idea off believing it to be a joke.

'I'm dead serious, Tae.'

'Okay, Jimin,' he laughed, but when Jimin raised his eyebrows into an expression that said "I ain't fucking around", Tae's smile instantly slumped. 'You want me to become a tyrant?'