Chapter 14

'Have you seen my journal?'

Jimin - internally stewing and thrumming his fingers on the dashboard - gradually turned his head to stare at the insouciant man behind the wheel. 'What journal?'

'My journal.' Jin's face crumpled as if his boss had just asked the silliest question on the planet. 'You know, the one with all the notes in it?'

Jimin ground his teeth together, amazed at his calm disposition considering their present status quo. 'What notes?'

'For fuc- The notes on the vortex and your whirlwind of adventures,' Jin tutted as he nonchalantly smiled at a passing couple walking their Pomeranian. 'I updated it a few days ago with the findings on the star. I put my life into that book, and now it's gone walkabout.'

Dumping his skull against the headrest, Jimin released a drawn out sigh.

Right now, he didn't give a flying fuck about Jin's journal, only the woman riding in the SUV further along the road.

I love you, too. Just a whole lot of simply.

The corners of Jimin's mouth twitched, his eyes glued to the roof of their Santa Fe as the traffic slowed at a pedestrian crossing.

He'd known for as long as he could remember that he was in love with the spirited lady, and yesterday, the confession had slipped from his mouth as natural as a bee collecting pollen.

Yunhee's reciprocation had left Jimin walking on air and thinking about the future they could one day share. But he was no fool; their fervent escapade in the garden was a distraction, for they had a rocky reality to conquer before they could even think about starting a life together.

Today, Tae was taking his "girlfriend" out on another trip to Dream Bean, but Jimin had a really bad feeling that he'd been unable to shake since the party of four had left the mansion.

'They're moving,' Jin muttered as Tae cruised through the green light several cars ahead. 'He should take the next-'

'Left,' Jimin croaked, keeping his gaze trained on their indicator. 'Dream Bean is on Dasan-ro, so he'll need to make a left after-' Jimin fired forward in his seat, his eyes bulging like a toad when Tae glided into the outer lane and turned right instead. 'What the hell is he doing?'

'Bloody hell!' Jin thundered, smacking the gas pedal while spinning the steering wheel with the heel of his palm. Their car swerved out of the queue, shaving past the line of traffic until they skidded sharply around the corner to give chase. 'Do you see them?'

With his heart lodged in his throat, Jimin's eyes darted from Kia to Daewoo to every Hyundai under the sun, examining the unending flow of vehicles on the street that ran parallel with a vast green park.

'Stop, stop, stop!' he yelled frantically as they raced past a Santa Fe reversing into a bay.

Jin bumped the kerb as Jimin hastily unbuckled his seat belt and eyed them through the wing mirror. Tae and Yunhee were fifty metres behind, parked next to a wide set of steps that dwindled up into a mass of tall trees.