|1|

Twelve years

Twelve years. It had been twelve years since he left his family and flew across the world to be what he always wanted to be– to fulfil his dream of becoming an investigator and to solve riddles of crimes. Years went like a blur yet felt forever that he couldn't tell how his place in America looked like. He was in awe with Pakistan when he landed but he didn't know that the people could be hospitable as well as murderous, he didn't know that people in the world would go so far to satisfy their greed and now all that he wanted was to leave. For a while or forever it didn't matter, he only needed a break from chaos and have a profession that wouldn't involve blood and crimes.

To say he loved his profession wouldn't be a lie since he practically went against the world by dropping his career in medicine and fighting with his parents all day and night. He was in love with the idea of becoming an investigator. His profession taught him many things that he wouldn't have learnt otherwise but it also left a void in his heart. He hated the human analogy as he studied deeper in the desperation of wanting to know more. It bugged him if he didn't get to it before the time he drew for himself and as the time went on, he became more robotic than human.

Falling onto the cold floors of the gym, he stretched his body craving for the feeling of relief. He was exhausted after returning home late and working out for hours that he wanted to sleep the day away. His vest clung to his torso like a second skin. He closed his eyes and sucked in a mouth full of cold and conditioned air that dried his throat. He grabbed his cap from the side and covered his face.

"Fayd,"

The calling of his name snapped him out of his world and had him look out for the person who was about to burst through the door. His friend. The only friend and the one person he trusted. He knew this was coming when he had drafted his resignation mail and left it on his laptop on purpose because there was no way the other was going to understand.

"Pareshan nahi karo, Adil." Fayd growled as soon the door flung open to reveal an overdramatic Adil. He was not going to buy it when Fayd threatened him of leaving but it blew him up when he saw the mail. He legit seemed serious that it scared Adil.

Adil dropped next to Fayd and watched the ceiling in amusement. Was it really going to be the last day he got with his only friend, "What will I do when you leave? I didn't make friends because your reserved ass didn't want to enlarge the friend circle." He kicked Fayd's shin earning a quiet groan. Fayd rolled farther from him and threw his cap at Adil.

"Thanks. I've always wanted Marvel caps." Adil, being the hearty kid he was, looked at the cap with heart-eyes but his little bubble of happiness didn't last long as Fayd snatched his cap from him and tucked it in his shorts' pocket.

"If you're here for this nonsense then please see yourself out."

"Stop being a cold-hearted bitch."

Fayd had seen so many things in the last twelve years, from nothing as major as robbery to as huge as cold blooded murder– so many things that he hardly focused on his family back home in America. He could have been doing anything to enjoy his life but he decided to come to Pakistan alone and do what his heart desired but it wasn't so long ago when he gave up after seeing the cruelty of the real world.