|8|

Her obstinacy was putting his life at stake

Her obstinacy was putting his life at stake. Her stare remained on the package delivered to her, with a threat yet again. This was getting out of hand and now that she thought about it, it seemed like someone was keeping a keen eye on what she did, where she went and who she met. The thought of someone stalking her sent chills down her nerves– it was creepy. It was dangerous and it was fatal for both her and him.

It was completely a different matter when the threats were sent to her with letters attached to it. She was getting used to receiving them because no one else's life was at risk and she was convinced that if she was to be murdered the next day, she would be happy to leave for she had achieved everything the world deemed her unfit for.

The box that rested on the table had nothing except the letter from the sender. That offspring of a wicked breed seemed to have known her well. Even the letter was written in the way she liked and preferred– crisp and straight to the point with no crap or whatsoever. He cut it short so that he could use the investigator's life as a pawn in his game. She took the paper in her hand and flipped it front and back and scrutinised to find if the paper was handmade or from a factory, for it looked like it was recycled.

An officer from the bureau has been meeting up with you? Nice. Guess, it will be fun playing games with his life.– was all that was ever there. Written in two lines and bringing danger to two lives. She also knew that the sender would never send it to Fayd, knowing he wouldn't take much time before pulling him out of whatever pit he was hiding in. He would shake the world if that was the only way left.

Putting it back in the box and shoving it in a drawer, she began to look for his card that Farah left on her table the other day when she was having an episode of migraine. She needed to take it out and discuss things with him in case the unholy piece of shit decided to actually harm him to prove himself right to her.

"Farah?" It came out as a shrill cry of call as the throat constricted on her, preventing her from shouting.

"Yes, ma'am." Farah walked through the door, playing with her identity card.

"Did Fayd Malik leave his card with you?"

"No but he gave his number." Ayat narrowed her gaze at his action but then shrugged it off considering his reasons and concluding that the card was someone else's.

She nodded, "Okay. Send it to me." Farah covered her shock by faking a cough and nodded, taking her leave to go back to her cubicle to send his number and went back to what she was doing earlier.

Feeling Ayat's eyes on her, Farah threw a thumbs up to her indicating that she sent what she looked for. Her eyes reverted to the screen after shaking her head in a yes when her phone vibrated from beside her laptop. She picked it up and dialled his number, hoping that she could bring herself to give a piece of her life to him. She would have to step out of her comfort zone inorder to find out. It's high time she did that. It was for him and herself.