|14|

"For you

"For you. Was on clearance sale." Saying so, Fayd threw the Marvel cap at Adil, taking him off guard. Adil, who was so interestingly indulged in a game show, looked up and groaned loudly to show his displeasure but then his eyes landed on his own lap and found a bag sitting on him. He knitted his brows together as he took the bag and opened the bag.

"Here, don't bullshit me. What store puts a fresh and limited edition Marvel cap on clearance sale? Where is it? Must be the ones in the city of Yazdan." Fayd could never understand Adil's obsession with his middle name.

It hadn't even been a week since Fayd gave him what he had been wanting from the time of announcement of launching a new edition. But he wasn't going to tell him that he had to stand in line for a solid hour to get his hands on the goodies. Adil would never know that he cut his calls to get him his birthday present. A birthday that was supposed to be in three months. It was all for the smiles, for Adil reminded him of the times he spent with his older brother- when relationships were impossible to sever. When the brothers would stick together in everything.

"I'm not going to thank you." Adil mumbled, pressing the cap against the crown to fit his size.

"Did I ask for one?" He faked a scoff to hide a smile that was forming on his face.

It was only a few days before the launch did he hear about Adil's unending rants about the new edition that took its time to get launched in Pakistan. He was happy that he could finally get his hands on the cap. He had said that he was not going to worry about the price even if it were to exceed his budget. Adil had that spark glowing in his eyes whenever he talked about Marvels. Sure, he was a die hard fan as they named it.

The eerie siren that kept ringing in his ears for the last few hours had subsided to finally stop. He could hear things- he could hear people talking around him, to him about something he couldn't pinpoint. The words were incoherent as if they were from babies. Their words were leaving an echo in the walls of his mind to get carved so he could remember when he would be able to hear properly. His eyes, as though, were being pricked by needles and his body unmoving and he could feel his soul wandering inside its cage, trying to find an escape but it wasn't there. There was no door for it to come out of it. It was meant to be there inside him until it was it's time to come out. It wasn't its time yet.

He groaned inwardly when the doctor mentioned something about him to Isaa. He could hear his voice. He could recognise his tone. He could also recognise the tiny- almost non-existent- piece of grief that stayed afloat. And even in sleep, he could puzzle about the unmistakable similarities between the brothers. The features, the use of appropriate tones in different places, the habits of clenching teeth. It was there. He could hear it as if his hearing had heightened.

Then it struck- the accident. His body was trying to reach whoever was close but he couldn't move a finger. His fingers and body, glued to the bed and the stench of strong disinfectant was not doing well to his already sick stomach. He wanted to throw up. He could feel the bile rise up to his throat but he couldn't open his mouth to empty the contents. He couldn't open his mouth to let out a word. He couldn't open his mouth to say that he could hear him. Fayd could hear the distant footsteps and then the shutting of the door. He was in despair, he didn't know what happened. He wanted to know whether Adil was doing fine just as he did before he blackened out.