|21|

Nobody lied when they said the world functioned in unfathomable ways

Nobody lied when they said the world functioned in unfathomable ways. Nobody lied when they said the universe had more keys to the past than to the future. Nobody lied when they said people would look for those from the past instead of walking with the ones who wanted to walk beside them. Nobody lied when they said fate had its way to get back at you and that love had its way to get back to you. All of which she had heard throughout her life was now coming alive before her eyes whilst her eyes took in the sight of him playing the instrument she loved more than most of what her life contained.

Dressed in the deepest shade of the forest, sat Fayd Malik as he held the attention of everyone at the banquet. Who could ever tell that this was the same man that dug people's lives for a living? Who could ever tell that criminals back in her country wanted him to look into the dirty matters of others? Who could ever tell that this man held others' secret in his fingertips? And who could ever tell that the banquet hall was the last place she thought to find him?

"How do you know Fayd?" Huzaifa was quick to slide next to her, holding his little princess' hand  firmly in his hands. She smiled down at Hoorain before she averted her focus back on Hoorain's father.

"We worked together for a while. How do you know him?"

"Salaar and Fayd went to school together before he was homeschooled." He said as a matter of fact. A smile tugging at the corners of his mouth, watching Fayd play his heart out. Fayd and Salaar happened to hang out together at an early age because of Huzaifa's friendship with Fayd's older brother, eventually becoming the best of friends.

"He was homeschooled?" Normally that would be anyone's reaction to know he was homeschooled while she tried to connect dots with the cut scar on his left arm.

"All his life. He was bullied." Although it was not his place to discuss someone's life with his cousin, his heart went out for Fayd and all that he went through as a student.

"Oh?" Was all she could muster as the heaviness of the information settled on her heart. Her gaze rolling towards the man that had become the center attraction. He had his eyes closed and body steeled against the seat.

Ayat wouldn't be so lying if she said she felt for him. Bullying, in every way, was fatal and nobody deserved to go through it no matter the race, the religion, the skin color. Her insides lurched when images formed in her mind– her heart shivered just by it. He talked about so many things to her back in Pakistan– he talked about his family, his sister, his grandparents but never for once did he mention about his school. She had tried asking about the scar once but the answer he gave her wasn't satisfying.

"Huzaifa?"

"Hmm?" He shot up to her direction with the little playful smile that his daughter gave him.

"What really happened?" Uncertainty. Uncertainty was what she felt at that moment. She wanted to pull back from this pit she was slowly falling into even so the pit was luring her in. A desperation was birthing into the bargain. A wave of mixed feelings weighed her down. That was the man that underwent so many things in his life even before she did.