|9|

"Shukran, ya Rabb!" Fayd's mother squealed in joy as Ayat came into the frame

"Shukran, ya Rabb!" Fayd's mother squealed in joy as Ayat came into the frame. He was trying his best to tell her to hung up and that he would call her back when he would be back home but the mother was too busy, thinking other things that she couldn't bring herself to press the red button on her screen.

The question was, why wouldn't she? Her thirty two year old son had been alone all his life with no love and running after his career. She hadn't seen her son in person for years– not even when his grandparents passed away but she was understanding. She understood his situation and that he would have run back home to see them off if things were favorable to him. She understood him when he told her that he would take another three months.

The man on her screen was not her fourteen year old son who hid away in the basement after coming back from school, who took every attack and kept his silence. And this was not her fourteen year old son who went into trauma. This was a thirty two year old son who fought the world and went across the globe for his passion. A strong man twice as strong as his younger self.

"Labbaik Ya Allah! Ammi, nahi." He squeezed his eyes shut, "Aisa nahi hai." He tried to keep his tone down while taking a brief glance at Ayat who looked at his mother in amusement so much that she could say that his mother was a fun loving and easy going woman.

"Kaisa nahi hai, amma?" Adil jumped next to him the moment he caught an idea of what was going on in her head. A smirk as wide as Fayd's mother that sometimes Fayd chided both of them saying that he wouldn't be surprised if Adil was his long lost brother.

"I will send you a voice text." Ammi said to Adil in a hushed tone while taking a good glance at her son as the latter widened his eyes at his mother for siding with Adil. Fayd shook his eyes, pushing his phone into Adil's hand and getting up from the chair.

"Yazdan, listen!" Her mother exclaimed. The call was from his mother but his head turned to the woman who stood across from him with Adil's drawings.

Her eyes perked up at the mention of his middle name and her memory walked down a lane that was closed. A name that she could recall from her past. She bit the inside of her cheek as she beheld his gaze– his softened gaze. She looked down and pretended to study the drawing. Blood rushed through her veins, for it was the first time in years that someone looked at her with such intensity. There was something about it.

Yazdan. The name was intriguingly knowing and she could picture an image of a young boy as the name reverberated in the walls of her ears. A boy that sat in the middle of a park- dressed in winter clothes and his head ducked down, staring into the greenish grass clad in snow– a butterfly sitting in the back of his hand but it disappeared as soon as she tried to go into details. She would know someday. Her eyes flew up when he tore his own from hers and glued it on the screen, talking to his mother and bidding her.

Fayd would do anything. He would do anything for her sake and not complain. He wouldn't give a damn if it brought him to ruination. He would climb up high to protect her from the world and from his own monsters– ones that almost killed a life. He would climb to the highest and fall deeper on his knees even though she might not even remember him. Because and only because Ayat was his Ruh– a noor that brightened up his day on a gloomy evening when he wasn't willing to go back to home. That was the day when bullying started.