|30|

The dinner was awful

The dinner was awful. The participants were disgusting. He sighed for an umpteenth time still thinking of the reason for agreeing to come with her. After the last parcel that Abbas sent her, Fayd tagged along with her everywhere she went and that was exactly why he tagged along when she asked him to come with her and now how he regretted it. This wasn't his place. He looked to her from his peripheral vision, trying to grasp the look of anything but she bore nothing.

Ayat Wajdani was quietly still, not lending ears to whatever they spoke and only answering when they came at her and her business. Fayd rolled his fork on the mount of spaghetti. He had lost his appetite. He couldn't bring himself to eat a spoonful of spaghetti with them faking it. He could see it for himself as to why she hated everyone around her. Fayd glimpsed around, taking a good look at them. He sighed and recoiled, poking his fork and putting it aside to take his glass and have a sip when he noticed her move in her seat uncomfortably.

Ayat was growing hot and restless- her face, despite being covered by the makeup, was growing red and so was her neck. Ayat undid her hair to cover her reddened neck from others whilst eyeing Fayd for a fraction of a moment. The presidents of different companies cheered on her success- celebrating her for standing on the pinnacle of success but she knew better- they knew better. They were here because of what her last name could do for them. They were here so that she would stand with him. She was here because they wouldn't turn their backs on her later in life. That's what men did when they found a woman struggling in the cut throat world- to slay her until she bled and she wasn't going to make room for that.

Fayd rested his hand over hers to confirm his doubt and he was not wrong. She was indeed burning up with fever. She turned her face to him, silently telling him to let go but the man, she knew, was too adamant to do it. He wouldn't do it for anyone. He wouldn't do it for her. It was only her when it was about her.

A stilling silence permeated on them as he rose from his seat, slightly nudging her and fishing his phone out of his pocket, "Ms Wajdani, you're requested in the office to overview the final draft of one of our latest projects." He extended his phone to her.

She sighed when her exhausted face stared back at her from the turned off screen, "Get up." He mouthed, nudging her ankle with his shoes. Ayat shot him a sharp glare before turning to face the others. No doubt, she had introduced him as one of the team leaders.

She was too exhausted to even be sitting there. The food that she had pushed down her throat was slowly rising up her food pipe and she could feel it in the base of her throat. She wanted to leave the place before she collapsed and they got a chance to make a scene out of it. She cleared her throat as she spoke, "I'm afraid I'll have to attend this. Enjoy your meal."

Stumbling out of the dinner hall, Ayat walked around and looked for the ladies room to empty her stomach. She knew it was a bad idea when she realized she was down with fever earlier that evening but she couldn't cancel the dinner and understandably so. Her face flushed  even more when his gaze penetrated her, when he looked at her as though she was his and she was no child to not understand what his eyes gave away.