|37|

Perching against the kitchen island, he watched his love bake her versions of muffins– a smile never leaving his face

Perching against the kitchen island, he watched his love bake her versions of muffins– a smile never leaving his face. Like the last star was born miraculously in the endless sky, their love had found its light in the endless darkness of their respective responsibilities. The hurdles were driven out and Fayd and Ayat could see their destination closer than the horizon. Ayat had to lose so many things to be with him. Ayat had to lose her father's company and her relationship with bibi jaan but then what could be kept hidden away and behave like nothing happened when the other person went on showing her loyalty towards the woman who had already been introduced to the inkness of the grave and the door to the other world.

Ismael Wajdani gave in. He had to give in because of what he had gotten to hear from his own children– the son he loved so much extinguished his agony by blaming his father for whatever happened between him and his ex-wife. His brother's daughter, who he had wanted as a daughter, blamed him for almost ruining her life. She blamed him for shoving the mountain-like responsibilities on her head and snatching her dreams when she had only wanted to lead a mediocre life– to be a lawyer and not the president of a company. Asher blamed him for using his name to separate Fayd and Ayat. The accusations rang in the walls of his ears as though he was being told about the deeds– loud, clear, punishing and agonizing.

"What?" She laughed, looking at her love and watching her with big eyes in admiration. How much had she longed to see admiration and adoration for her in someone's eyes. Looks of admiration were only possible when the beholder was proud. Fayd was indeed proud of her. No woman would have been that strong to take blows again and again. Any woman would have shattered and crumbled to pieces. A few pieces of her might have been lost but Ayat Wajdani didn't let herself break and he was proud of it.

"Can't I just look at you and think about how foolish I had been to think about letting you go?" His index finger tapped on the rim of the granite as he spoke his heart. His words, perfectly curated.

"Tell me honestly, why were you so keen on leaving me? Do you have a secret wife or secret love children?" Although the look in her eyes was teasing, it was certainly one of those dark fears she had buried in her heart.

Amused at her colorful thinking, she adjusted himself closer to where she stood with her mixing bowl. He dipped his finger tip into the mixture and smeared it all across her left cheek, earning a deadly groan from her. Not minding to pay heed to her, he swirled his little finger around a strand astray and pushed it behind.

"Trust me, my wife and children would never be a secret to the world. I would love them in the brightness of the days and the coldness of the nights, " He leaned towards her ear, sending a wave of alert to her body to pool blood in the highlights of her cheeks, in her ears and in her neck, "Moreover I was going to start looking for you once I was done with my job there. I didn't know anything except your first name."

He had no clue as to where she lived or who her parents were. He had no clue as to where to start looking for her because the first and the last time he saw her, she was in America and only seven. He had no idea about her being the girl he had always found in his darkest corners until he saw the eyes in the picture he picked up. It was nobody's but her eyes and he could never fail at recognising it.