|16|

He was on the brink of sanity, losing every bit of it as the time passed by

He was on the brink of sanity, losing every bit of it as the time passed by. The night didn't last long and the sun broke out much to his dismay, for he wanted to dwell in the darkness the night allowed. For a person that was brought in unconscious and for a patient who was in a coma for three days, he hadn't slept a blink even though a nurse came through and gave him sedative. As if he was curbed from rest and peace. He shifted and stirred on the bed as the scintillating rays of the sun peeked through the curtains.

He would be damned– he would be utterly damned if he took the investigation in his hands. Remorse twisted his heart when he was helping Adil and taking it over on himself to give them his hundred percent? No, that wasn't what he wanted for himself. As the years passed in Pakistan, he had come to realise that the country indeed was not for him and that he could never blend in with others. He was planning to leave to wherever his heart would find rest after staying in the States with his parents for a while.

That night when he saw Ayat in the park, dressed all in black, he didn't think it was her. He didn't think it was her time to waltz back in his life. He had looked for her everywhere until he turned nineteen and was sent out to a different city for the university. But a boy that was homeschooled all his life couldn't be what his fellow mates wanted him to be, he became a drag as they called him. And after being mocked at for practising his religion– for offering four rakah of namaz, for not wanting to drink and clubbing and suppressing his dream to fulfill his parents', he ran away back to home. To tell his parents he wanted to go to Pakistan and not continue his education in medicine, throwing his parents off the cliff. They yelled at him, they begged him, they didn't want him to leave the way he was driving away from his parents. In the end, it was his profession that brought his love back into his life. In the end, it was his chosen profession that was making him lie to her face.

The kid in him was brutally unalived before he could walk away from childhood. The teenage Fayd never left the threshold until necessary and the adult Fayd was filled with bitterness so much that now even words like family and love were leaving a sour taste in his mouth. His fingers finding their way to his scar. His scar– a souvenir for his bravery, for breaking out of the burning garage, for saving his own life instead of falling into the hands of death. He made it. Fayd made it out to life.

"Hello?" He groaned into the phone the next moment Isaa's phone, that he gave to him, started to go off.

"Salam first, Fayd!" His brother's voice waved all the way to his ears, shooting his eyes open to see the caller.

"Bhai?"

"Are you doing well now? I heard you got into an accident." As he heard, his eyes shrunk together in bewilderment. No way in blazing hell would he ever tell his family that he got into an accident– not when his parents hadn't come to terms with his decision of leaving even after years.

Undeniably, it was Isaa that talked to his family members when he was in a coma, leaving out his actual situation and lying to them that he was restricted from taking calls for a while and that he was inconsolably hurt by Adil's death, "I'm fine, don't worry." He breathed out as he heard his brother sigh in relief.