|22|

He waited for a moment as her words sank in

He waited for a moment as her words sank in. His gaze faltered to the ground before he lifted them up to meet with hers, "We are not close to each other that we carry each other's secrets, Ruh." He bent towards her ears and whispered. However, the word he used to call her was enough to say otherwise. A smile twitched the corner of her mouth but Ayat straightened it before he could see it.

Taking a step back and pushing him by his chest, her eyes fell on the silver chain that went deeper beneath his kurta, tugging closer to his heart, "Your pendent says otherwise." She could see the outlines of his round shaped resin locket from above his dress. This was the game– this was the dangerous game they had brought upon themselves. To feel and then to ignore.

His jaw ticked for the second time, announcing that he neared his defeat. He could accept defeat from her because she was all that mattered, "The bracelet-'' He stopped.

He stopped because he couldn't continue with his words, for he knew they would betray him. The anguish he felt at that moment was even more torturous than what he went through in the past. The feeling of not being able to hold his love when he could see her eyes speak the language of love poisoned his soul. It was slowly killing him. What was to happen when he told her about all those he learned and fled with? What was to happen when he would tell him that her parents were dead? What was to happen when he told her that the man she presumed to be dead was very much alive? What was to happen when she would know all those years she spent alone mourning were in vain. She would end her or she would end the world.

"Ruh," A strained whisper left his mouth as he stepped closer, holding her elbows to keep her from recoiling and pulling her closer to his chest. He held her. He held her closer to his heart as it throbbed from inside its cage, it beat loudly that even Ayat could feel it against her chest, "Oh Ruh,"

His breath was now ragged and shaky, he was trembling against her. Resting her head against the side of his face, Ayat spread her arms around his back and clutched the cloth of his kurta. No matter the distance, no matter the consuming feeling, no matter the ache, they needed each other. They needed each other to melt so they could reform more lethal than before, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He kept repeating the same words until she pulled out of his hold, having enough of it.

She then stepped closer, tracing the strand of hair astray on his forehead and pushing it back only did she cup his face and dared to look into his eyes, "What is it, Yazdan?"

"What is it that you're so bent on hiding from me?"

That was when Fayd got back to his senses and suddenly her touch burned his skin. He pulled away from her and breathed hard. This ache he felt at that moment would swallow him one day. He closed his eyes shut to stop the tears from flowing down. How was he going to live after betraying the only woman he loved all his life? When she was the only person he thought in times of tortures and agony, when they ambushed him, when they almost killed him.