|4|

"Ma'am?"

"Ma'am?"

Her eyes burned up at the woman that stood at the door frame with her body leaning towards the door. The stillness of her office was suddenly captured by the bustling with the liveliness of the world outside the door stilled her for a second. Ayat Wajdani, an icy head boss, never came in her employees' way outside their work hours.

"Yes, Farah?" Pressing on the assistant's name, Ayat urged to tell the matter quickly.

"Bibi jaan called and told me to tell you to leave by seven."

Ayat nodded at her, telling her to go back to her seat and sunk deeper in her own as her head throbbed even more painfully. Her head had been hurting ever since she woke up in the morning and backed up meetings did no good to her ache. Groaning on what she had gotten to hear, Ayat slipped into thinking about the possibilities of her early summon given the reason was a family dinner last time– family dinner with no family to be more precise.

The older woman always dared to call her assistant's phone instead of her own knowing a bit to well that she would ignore her calls to avoid. She, without a second thought, knew what bibi jaan's demand would be and she wasn't ready to do it. She hated whenever it was brought up. As the ache deepened, the corners of her eyes pricked like the edge of thorns was stabbed into the skin– so much that she kept flying her eyelids open every few seconds trying to get rid of the pain. Pulling herself up from the chair, Ayat headed out to the lunchroom to get herself a cup of green tea. The bitterly taste of green tea brought ease to her migraines.

When she heard one of her employees bad mouth about her, "No one is as arrogant as she is."

Ayat had been familiarized with the term now that she had been hearing it for years and years. Her stance shifted from one leg to another as she watched a couple of her employees gossip about her through the thin glass wall. Nothing of which was new. She had always been in the talks for her professionalism, her behaviour and everything else that had ties with her life.

The heel of her pumps tapped against the floor as she waited for her patience to grow thin. Did she have time for their nonsense? No. But she wanted– she had always wanted to know how rumours about her sparked and circulated inside the office property. Everything about her life was questioned but did she care? No. Never had she ever kept herself so free for her mind to wander in unknown realms.

The break room was bustling with happiness as one of their colleagues was about to get married. They congratulated her on her wedding, oblivious to the fact that they were being watched by their employer. Ayat never tolerated commotion on her watch but something in her stirred as she saw her employee glowing and gleaming in happiness. Relations and relationships were so unattainable that she preferred staying far away from them. She hated the idea of it. She hated the idea of being related to anyone.

"Get back to work, we don't have all day to congratulate her." Grabbing her cup of green tea from near the infuser, Ayat walked away not leaving a second for them to clear their stance. She knew better than to have them defend themselves. They looked at her in dejection and at how she showed no reaction to any of their nonsense. Now that she had heard it they wanted to extract a reaction– a reaction so small as an atom to know that if she cared.