|13|

"Ya Allah reham

"Ya Allah reham." Bibi Jaan clamped her eyes shut the second the news was delivered to her. She held onto her chest as her heart ached, thinking of the departed soul. Ayat didn't know Bibi Jaan was going to recover from this shock, for she had cared for him as much as she did for her. She saw him that night when she was out with Fayd, looking for that one inhumane jerk. She didn't know he was going to leave so soon. She didn't know someone was going to leave so soon. Her world withered after Asher's death, hoping to never see someone die again. She didn't have it in her to see someone so young and so deserving lose their opportunity at life so soon. The world was drowning with guilt after swallowing a life– a young and innocent life that was supposed to be breathing and running around on the face of earth, lightening up worlds with smiles and laughs. The planet was so undeserving for having lost such precious life.

Ayat pressed bibi Jaan's shoulder when a wave of nausea hit her. Anything was accepted but not the pain of death of someone close. She had just gotten to know them. Farah was in shock herself even though she was the one that took up the charge to inform her boss and bibi Jaan. She had just seen him a day before and he bantered about continuing the bickers once he returned and the next time they met. Oh, but how the next time was never promised. Farah would have never thought that she would be seeing him off from the world as she saw him off the office buildings. He had promised her to bring the ever-soft Sayrah, as he named her, the next time he visited the Wajdani groups.

"Ayat. Ya Khudaya!" Bibi Jaan was too shocked to even say anything else as she kept staring into the off white walls. Her heart wished for it to turn out to be false and that he didn't lose his life.

"Bibi Jaan, uh-" Ayat chewed on her words, tucking away a strand of hair behind her ear. She needed to go out and help them with the funeral. She needed to go out and see what she could do to numb the eerie ache in her heart. She needed to leave the house, since the walls felt too confining for her to corner her despicable feelings, "I think I should go."

"I will come with you." Was her immediate response. But God, no. She could never allow herself to bring that old woman to such a heinous place where only the limb body rested in white cloth. She wasn't cruel.

"No please, I'll keep updating you." She squeezed Bibi Jaan's shoulder for one more time in empathy. The old woman didn't protest, for she knew best.

As Ayat got into the car, she knew she had to figure the rest of it by herself. She had no clue as to who to contact. The only men she communicated with were not in places to speak. She didn't know who and where to go. Fayd never allowed her to even take a look towards his office as though she would plague it, let alone talk about it. The only thing she knew of from his work was Adil, Sayrah and another man that recently joined. Apart from that, Zilch. She had no idea whatsoever, for they had been so secretive about their work.

The things that passed her were hazily blurred. The people, the roads and the shops. She couldn't focus on them as her only concentration settled on contacting Sayrah. The woman talked to her only a day before asking for Fayd. Turning out, Ayat fished her phone out of her bag as she sided the car to the parking area to see if Sayrah was available but instead of texting her, Ayat went on with calling her number.