|31|

She stared startled at her ring finger

She stared startled at her ring finger. The ring was gone for about a week and she hadn't been used to it yet. The ring had almost become a part of her body- something that always remained with her despite the recurring problems. That was her sanctuary and that was where her real self resided, the one that was in love with everything around her. Now that it was gone, it made her feel empty from inside. Sure, that was her shackle. Sure, that treaded her relationship to Asher. Yet still, it completed her in a way nothing else had. The ring had to go because that was not her asset anymore. Her asset was now his love. Fayd's love.

Things would have been different, she would have still treasured the ring if Asher was really dead. Although she was happy that his life had been given back to him, she was still skeptical about everything. The man she was sitting with, the man who kicked her out twenty minutes ago, the man his father came into the world with and the man who she thought was dead. At this rate, she had started to expect her father's return even though only for a while.

"I'm glad you didn't wallow in your past." Huzaifa placed the cup of non-dairy coffee in front of her as he took a seat across from her. Ayat sneered, remembering the way he barged in and found Ayat weeping in Fayd's arms. To say she crumbled her guards before Fayd wouldn't be a lie because that's what he did- crumbling her walls and bringing her ahead of it. However, she was appalled at how she weakened. That was not her. That was not the Ayat Wajdani who had steeled herself against the world.

"His fear was bigger than my pain. I couldn't ignore it to cower to my past." The weight behind her words were so heavy that he had to waver for a moment. His eyes crinkled- unable to grasp the owner of the said fear only to realize it a minute later. Huzaifa didn't have to bring the world together to speak for their love, the two people knew what they were doing for each other. The world would see it too.

The fear- the fear that she saw in his eyes when she lowered herself to his face level. The fear of losing her. They promised nothing to each other yet the promises they had made to themselves for each other were what mattered the most. She didn't know what would become of them in the end but she didn't want to think about it now. She would have him all to her when she could. She would allow him to have her all he wanted. Whatever the ending might be, she prepared herself for it. The idea of him and her together was a distant dream.

And how dreams did come true.

Ayat had never seen him that afraid before or after that day. He went back to how he was the next day he knocked on her door- the little twit that flirted with Farah whenever she called Ayat to discuss a few random business dealings which mostly included her whining. Ayat didn't know what to make of Farah now that the fact of her being the only daughter to Khalid sahb was established recklessly in front of her, proving that the first person that she decided to trust after Asher's death was planted in her office to soil her life. She didn't know what she was going to do with her now that she knew Farah Khalid would be the last person to be trusted in her life.