|34|

Ayat Wajdani felt Isaa sigh next to her for the umpteenth time in the last twenty minutes

Ayat Wajdani felt Isaa sigh next to her for the umpteenth time in the last twenty minutes. For a fact, she was losing her patience too but Isaa's impatience and bouncing of legs tested her limits. Ayat hadn't known of so many things but she could bet on everything that was alive that Fayd was there inside her uncle's office not for the sake of just visiting him like the receptionist told them. He would be the last remaining person on the earth to willingly visit anyone other than her. She might claim to not know him but she did and that was a mistake on her part. It bugged- it ate her by cells and skin. It was so palpable that the feeling was slowly crawling out of her to grumbly Isaa.

"How does your wife shut your mouth? God."

"In ways you don't want to imagine, little kid." He snickered, throwing her off the edges. Ayat fake gagged and scrunched her nose in absolute disgust. Isaa laughed his ass off at her reaction as he watched her scoot away from his seat.

Ayat had been on edge since the minute Fayd opened up to her after Asher came back. She knew Fayd wasn't doubtful of his feelings, in fact, his feelings were the only truest thing amidst many pretensions and deceptions, however, she didn't know what to think of all of it. He told everything- from those two days in the garage to the day they met again in the cafeteria but he didn't let her get an inkling of his color blindness. What did he think? That she would walk away? Even so, how could he have a thought like that when he claimed to know and love her? Was that how weak his love was?

She was in a dilemma given the fact that Fayd was going out of his way for her and that he was going against the ones that stood with him since childhood. It wasn't good. It was betrayal and she knew how that felt. How having someone they knew and trusted go behind and backstab them felt like. She knew how leaving someone behind felt like and it was the last thing Ayat wanted him to do for her. Fayd and Ayat- they didn't know what awaited in the future or what was written in their fate. They didn't know if they were meant to be together, so she didn't want to get back at someone for her sake- for someone who might not be written in his destiny. Because that would leave him with nothing but bleeding wounds and she wouldn't be there to hold him in her embrace and pull him up.

"How are you wearing his pendant?" Isaa inquired at the sight of Fayd's resin pendant peeking through her unbuttoned blazer. Ayat looked down at her chest before standing up and buttoning her blazer.

"It is as simple as it is, he gave it to me." He didn't give it to her, he made her wear it. He made sure it sat perfectly on her neck- plunging near her collarbone and hoisted stiffly near her chest. He made sure it fit her more than it ever did on him. That day at the car when they were returning from meeting Salaar in his new place, he gave it to her and asked to treasure it the way he had been treasuring it for twenty four years.

This, however, unsettled Isaa as he drove a knife into his mind, thinking of many other hints that Fayd had been dropping for a few days. It was suspicious at first. His words had always been suspicious so Isaa didn't take his words to mind but now that he thought about it- he wanted to jump off the cliff and fall on knees and ask forgiveness from his brother for leaving him alone with the birdbrain named Fayd Yazdan Malik.