|5|

A heave of sigh escaped from her throat when she saw the company's attorney do his work, her eyes going forth and back to the desk and his chair– it was the place she wanted for herself in her father's company—Wajdani groups— when she was just bud...

A heave of sigh escaped from her throat when she saw the company's attorney do his work, her eyes going forth and back to the desk and his chair– it was the place she wanted for herself in her father's company—Wajdani groups— when she was just budding to life. Her life was painted with colors that the world had rarely even seen while living a dream life of many.

Ayat, as a child and a teenager, never wanted to run the business as only the law interested her to no end. She would study for hours at night to pursue her dream of becoming the company's lawyer and be able to suggest her father on legal matters. But it was always that person who never dreamed big but different ended up living the life of someone else. The grand lifestyle had taken most of her life that she didn't know what she had done in the past decade except working.

The vague idea of living like a normal working woman lived in her head. The one who didn't have to make deals with narcissistic presidents of prestigious companies. The one who didn't have to trade her own life for her employee's betterment and the one who didn't have to pretend to be stronger everyday. Not in her case because someone who led a group of people had to be strong. Oh, the hypocrisy.

"Farah Khalid?" Ayat called out after seeing her lazing around on the executive floor with a pile of folders in her hand. Farah stood straight and cleared her throat, placing the things on her desk.

"Good morning, ma'am." She tried to say it while almost faking a smile. Ayat squinted her eyes a little, examining the woman for a second before nodding her away, "Ah! The officer from last time has fixed an appointment, you will be meeting him-" Farah pushed the power button of her phone to see the time, "In two hours. His name is Fayd Malik." With that Farah scurried away.

The name, to Ayat, felt oddly familiar– like she knew it from before, like she knew the person from before. She made her way to the cafeteria to get a sandwich for breakfast so she could spend the ten minutes of breakfast break reading files for the upcoming project with another company. Picking a tea bag from the pouch, Ayat walked around to the kettle to get some hot water for herself. And while she minded her business, the employees from the cafeteria looked at her like they were seeing her for the first time in ages as she showed up after months and months.

"Just focus on what you're doing." Saying that, Ayat retrieved her gaze and shifted her attention back to the cup.

"One coffee, please." After someone gave their order, the vicinity was suddenly conquered by a stillness in the air.

"Oh, I didn't know I would find you here." A sudden cheerful voice roused her from a reverie as she shot up to her left to find the man she met in the hospital.

"Excuse me?" She arched her brows at his fake-ass grin.

"I mean in the cafeteria-" He stretched and looked around for someone, "Make it two please." He said to the barista after reading a text on his phone and rolling his eyes as if he was meaning to crush whoever was about to come and that it was easy to understand that he wouldn't like what and who was about to come.