Selfish

*Inspired by Talia Mar's "Selfish"*

Baseball Players/Rivals-to-Lovers AU

WARNINGS: language and smut

...

Rain pours down steadily around Kim Taehyung, yet the boy doesn't notice. His mind is on the baseball in his hand, the muddying pitch beneath his feet, and the fan chants surrounding him. His team is ahead by only one point with one person on the base and two outs so far. He just needs to get one more out. One more batter to strike out and they will win. 

He takes a deep breath, the rain dripping off the brim of his cap as he stares down the batter from the rival team. His raven hair is tucked beneath a helmet, yet that doesn't stop Taehyung from seeing the determined gleam in the boy's eyes and the smug smirk on his face. It's a smirk that Taehyung has come to love and loathe. 

Jeon Jungkook is one of the best. His record of home runs and base hits is well above Taehyung's. And despite Taehyung being one of the best pitchers in the league, Jungkook has hit every curveball and fastball he has thrown at him. Having Jungkook be the one to change the fate of the game makes Taehyung even more determined to not let it happen. He fiddles with the seam of the baseball in his hand, finding the right grip before taking a breath, and swiftly throwing the ball towards Jungkook with immense speed. Yet Jungkook is faster. Taehyung watches with an anxious pit in his stomach as Jungkook swings the bat and it collides with the ball. Luckily, it flies too far to the left.

"Foul ball!" the umpire shouts, tossing another baseball towards Taehyung. He has another shot. He takes a breath, calming his nerves as best he can when the roars and shouts of the crowd and his team fill his ears. Jungkook stands at the base, even more determined than before, his cheeky smirk widening as he meets Taehyung's gaze.

He hurls the ball once more, thinking Jungkook would miss the curve, but it is like he can see through all of Taehyung's movements and follows the ball perfectly. A loud crack fills his ears as Jungkook hits the ball over everyone's heads towards the right field. Taehyung's heart is in his throat as the right-fielder rushes for the ball, throwing it to first, yet it is too late. Jungkook is well past first base and on the way to second by the time the first basemen catches the ball.

"Throw it home!" Taehyung shouts, seeing the previous runner streaking down from third base to home plate. Everything seems to slow down as the first baseman throws it towards the catcher who gets the ball in his glove before instantly reaching for the runner sliding into home. He tags him with the ball, yet the umpire already called out his verdict.

"SAFE!" The crowd starts cheering even louder, and Taehyung glances over his shoulder to Jungkook--who's now on third--and the dark-haired player smirks at him, giving him a wink to rattle his bones. And it works. Taehyung looks down at the mud collecting at his feet before the catcher calls a quick timeout and rushes over to him while pulling off his heavy helmet and faceguard.

"I'm sorry, Yoongi--"

"Shut up and don't apologize. Are you good?" Yoongi asks, lifting Taehyung's dejected gaze, the rain soaking the boys as their coach walks up.

"Yeah. Just--"

"Taehyung," the coach growls out, and Taehyung's stomach flips as anxiety builds within him, "What the hell are you thinking?"