Winter Falls

*This concept was requested by an anonymous reader, but I was very much inspired by Stray Kids' "Winter Falls". I hope you enjoy it!*

A clock ticks loudly on the wall, the sound echoing around the glass-walled conference room. The metallic table and chairs do little to comfort Taehyung as he sits and listens to the staccato tick of the clock and the impatient tapping of his lawyer's pen. The lawyer across from them fiddles with a stack of paper, checking his watch now and then. Taehyung nibbles on his lip, noticing that it is now twenty minutes past the designated meeting time.

"I do apologize about the delay, my client–"

"Is here," a glum voice interjects as Jungkook walks through the door, his raven hair slightly more tousled than the usual slicked-back style he wears it in. Taehyung notices bags under the man's eyes and the thin smile on his lips as he sits beside his lawyer, unbuttoning his coat. He looks tired. Very, very tired, "I am sorry I'm late. I was at work..."

"I know," Taehyung says, his deep voice calm and cold in a way that Jungkook loathes, "I assume that's why you're always late."

There is a tense awkward silence between the two men that is only broken by the ticking clock and Taehyung's lawyer clearing his throat slightly.

"Now, for the divorce, we need to discuss assets. The prenuptial agreement states that were they to divorce, Kim Taehyung would be entitled 25% of Mr. Jeon's assets–"

"That is ridiculous. My client owns a multi-million dollar company, he shouldn't have to give anything over to that man since he is the one wanting the divorce in the first place!" Jungkook's lawyer snips. Jungkook looks at Taehyung; the brunette man has his usual stoic mask on his face, eyes numbing and cold, yet there is something in the way his lips pinch together that has Jungkook curious.

"Answer me this, Taehyung. Did you ever love me?" Jungkook's words shatter the icy mask on Taehyung's face and the boy's eyes are filled with numerous emotions that tell Jungkook all that he needs to know.

"Of course I do–of course, I did," Taehyung quickly corrects himself and Jungkook's heart painfully lurches in his chest, "We just never made time for each other...you and I worked opposite hours, and you were always gone for days on end...I got tired of being alone...of feeling like that love wasn't worth it to you," his sentence falters, words ending in almost a whisper and Jungkook can feel the tears beginning to sting his eyes. He promised not to cry in front of Taehyung. He promised to stay strong. So instead, he stands, looking down at his husband with as much love and care that he can muster without sobbing.

"Give him whatever he asks for," Jungkook states, buttoning up his coat once more. His lawyer gasps loudly.

"But Jungkook–"

"Give him whatever he asks for," the man sternly repeats, muttering under his breath, "He deserves it," before walking out of the office as a single tear escapes his eyes. Taehyung puts a hand to his chest, his own emotions causing turmoil within as he tries to remain calm.

"So, Mr. Jeon," Jungkook's lawyer says with some venom in his voice, "What is it you want?"

"We had previously discussed this. All my client asks for is the stipend from the prenuptial agreement and the car gifted to him by Mr. Jeon Jungkook. That is all," Taehyung's lawyer fills in and the man nods.

"Please...that is it..." he softly says and the man sighs, tired of idiot clients like the lovestruck man that just walked out of the office.

"Fine. Just sign these. There is a two-week processing period, but you will be informed when the divorce is finalized," the lawyer states before handing over his stack of documents. Taehyung signs them mindlessly, his thoughts and feelings on the man who walked out of the office and out of his life for good.