The Other Boy (Part One)

*Inspired by The Other Girl by Kelsea Ballerini feat. Halsey*

....

On the outskirts of a city lies Suburbia. In Suburbia, every house looks the same.  All are different shades of white or gray with clean glass windows glistening brightly in the sun. The front door is centered with three small steps leading up to it, neat rose bushes blossoming on either side of the door. To the left of each house is the garage with a perfectly symmetrical door in the center of it for cars to park. Suburbia is filled with perfect trees and perfect lawns, everything glistening green and pristine and picturesque. Even as the intense July sun bakes the crisp white sidewalks and cookie-cutter homes, nothing seems out of place in Suburbia. Each house is buzzing with the sound of airconditioning, and not a soul walks about the streets in this afternoon heat and suffocating humidity.

Down one of the cul-de-sacs and tucked further off the road is a house that is buzzing with a different sound. Instead of airconditioning and the clinks of ice in sweet tea, seething words and vicious insults can be heard, three people arguing over keyboards, guitars, and microphones in a tightly cramped garage that is roasting with the lack of airconditioning.

Jungkook sits in the back of the garage, sweat dripping from every pore as he grips drum sticks tightly in his hand. In front of him, his four bandmates bicker and bicker about the sound of the guitars, the notes, the lyrics. His leg bounces behind the drumset, the wooden drumstick tapping aimlessly on his thigh. A fan blows straight at him, trying to cool him down, though the thick summer afternoon air heats the garage, suffocating all of them. Jungkook silently prays for fall, prays for when the heat will break, the festivals will begin, and all of this bickering will be worth something.

"Guys! Please, can we just continue? You both are right. Jin, you hit the note flat, and Yoongi you played the wrong key. Nothing is wrong with Namjoon's lyrics, so can you guys just shut the fuck up and let us play!" Jungkook snaps, and instantly the argument stops. Jungkook is known for being level-headed; the heat must be getting to him if he's snapping so much.

"He's right. This is pointless," Hoseok says, fiddling with his bass as the three other members sigh and wander back for their instruments.

"Sorry, Kook...let's just try this again," Namjoon says, grabbing his guitar and moving into place. Yoongi nods, fingers dancing on the keyboard in front of him, making sure he gets the note succession correct.

"Yeah, the sooner we can perfect this, the sooner we can take a fucking break," Yoongi grumbles and Jungkook laughs, wiping at the sweat on his forehead with the back of one tattooed hand.

"Let's do this shit," Jungkook says before clicking the drumsticks together and counting the others in. As soon as they start, Jungkook notices a car park across the street from his house, notices a tall, yet lithe boy slip outside of the driver seat, his blinding blond hair tucked under a blue cap, matching the blue striped shirt he wears and the denim shorts that cling to his thighs.